Cosmetic dentistry

I've been thinking about getting my teeth fixed for a while now. Anybody have any advice on anywhere good in sheffield

Do you want cosmetic dentistry or orthodontic dentistry?

I had some cosmetic dentistry done about 20 years ago. I went to the dentist for a filling, but the guy I saw had been 'called up' (it was during Desert Storm) and he happened to be a cosmetic dentist in the 'real' world. He did the filling, but then he said: "I'm not letting a patient get out of the chair with a dead foetus (that wasn't the word he used) in his mouth. Who the hell did that filling on your front teeth?

I told him, he removed it re-did it and did a bit of 're-shaping' (I had crossed front teeth. - He didn't uncross them, but he cut them in such a way that it caused an optical illusion which made them appear far straighter.) He then told me: "I'm a cosmetic dentist. I work only on the parts of people's mouths you can see when they smile. Had you come to me privately, I would've charged you about £7000 for that. It's free today. :)

Find an NHS practice as I did when I broke a front tooth biting a Ryvita.

My own dentist (private) started at £2,000 and came down to £500 for a bridge.

I got a brilliant job done for £190 on the NHS on South Rd Walkley near the bottom of Fir Street.

Bridge work isn't cosmetic. - £500 for a bridge sounds like a pretty good deal.

I went to see an orthodontist in January, February and March (many times. :() I had 2 teeth out, every filling in my mouth removed and replaced (they were - in the main - amalgam fillings and they're no longer allowed (apparently.) I have to have a brace to straighten a back tooth (now at an angle, because it's tilting into the space left by another tooth which was removed.) I've been recommended to have 3 or 4 implants (!000 Euros each) and/or some bridge work, one crown replaced and 3 of the new resin fillings crowned.

My insurance will cover about half of it (I hope) but I'm going to need a mortgage on my mouth. :(

I may opt for astral teeth.

Yes but I got mine done for £190 not £500, which left me with £310. Don't you think that is a good deal?.

Sounds like a fantastic deal!

re "Do you want cosmetic dentistry or orthodontic dentistry?"

i'm not sure, probably orthodontic dentistry could've been an option years ago but i'm 32 now so...

i don't really know

Perhaps you should get a quote from an orthodontist?

The guy who is doing my teeth showed me the X-ray of the tooth which is tilted and said: "I'm going to put a brace on that."

I said: "Mouth jewellery? - At my age?" And he said. "Age isn't a problem. I can straighten that one within a couple of months, then if you have an implant in front of it it will stay straight." My teeth are now in pretty good repair (the tilted tooth is my 'best' tooth ... it doesn't have any filling or damage ... most of the others have had some work done on them:(.)

Apparently the new resin fillings aren't very hard - hence the requirement for crowns - and I have receding gum problems, so I'm probably going to lose a few more.

Sounds like a fantastic deal!

Perhaps you should get a quote from an orthodontist?

The guy who is doing my teeth showed me the X-ray of the tooth which is tilted and said: "I'm going to put a brace on that."

I said: "Mouth jewellery? - At my age?" And he said. "Age isn't a problem. I can straighten that one within a couple of months, then if you have an implant in front of it it will stay straight." My teeth are now in pretty good repair (the tilted tooth is my 'best' tooth ... it doesn't have any filling or damage ... most of the others have had some work done on them:(.)

Apparently the new resin fillings aren't very hard - hence the requirement for crowns - and I have receding gum problems, so I'm probably going to lose a few more.

great news , thanks. i'll get a quote from an orthodontist , any recommendation?

Yes but I got mine done for £190 not £500, which left me with £310. Don't you think that is a good deal?.

It is a good deal but no dentist will do cosmetic dental work under the NHS charging scheme. Cosmetic dentistry includes treatment along the lines of whitening, veneers and orthodontics. Some NHS dentists will do white fillings if you catch them on a good day but the last NHS dentist I saw told me I needed 5 fillings and he would not use amalgam as it was cosmetically unacceptable so it would cost me £700 for white ones. Suspicious, I went to a private dentist and I needed two fillings (white) at a cost of £250. Talk about 'false economy'...

It is a good deal but no dentist will do cosmetic dental work under the NHS charging scheme. Cosmetic dentistry includes treatment along the lines of whitening, veneers and orthodontics. Some NHS dentists will do white fillings if you catch them on a good day but the last NHS dentist I saw told me I needed 5 fillings and he would not use amalgam as it was cosmetically unacceptable so it would cost me £700 for white ones. Suspicious, I went to a private dentist and I needed two fillings (white) at a cost of £250. Talk about 'false economy'...

As I said in an earlier post, Amalgam fillings are banned in Germany. - Nothing to do with appearance, but rather because: "... It used to be thought that mercury was locked into fillings and could not escape, but research1 has shown that mercury vapour is continuously released from amalgam fillings in the mouth. The act of chewing, especially hot or acidic foods, increases the amount of vapour released and absorbed into the body. Mercury accumulates in the jaw area, the gastro-intestinal tract, the kidney, the liver and other organs and tissue..."

"...In Britain the cheapest and most commonly used substance for dental fillings is dental amalgam, a compound containing between 48 and 55% mercury, 33-35% silver, and various amounts of copper, tin, zinc and other metals."

Of course, price has nothing to do with it. Britain was also the country where (In the 1960s) "Tetraethyl lead in petrol poses no health risk"

Mercury poisoning is all in your mind ... and your liver, kidneys, other organs, soft tissue ...

Archived