What do you think of Sheffield's black cabs?

rayggb

What I do find annoying is when I ask roughly how much it will be to xxx and the driver doesn't know. I'm not asking for a firm price but just want to check I have enough cash on me to pay.

What has also annoyed me, twice, is when I've got black cabs from the station and they've gone a very long way around to my destination. Now, as a Sheffielder, I know my way around so I wonder whether they are making the journey longer than need be in order to increase the price. Obviously the two drivers who have done that are in a minority and neither of them got a tip!

Not enough of them, far too expensive, drivers should have to pass an English test (as most don't speak more than a few words of English from my experience - I speak some Urdu and find it necessary to use that for directions) plus they never know where you want to go.

Taxis themselves are great. Love the fact that Sheffield still has proper taxis.

Sorry but much as like to support and keep people in work, black cabs are becoming too expensive, got a cab from midland station today to whiston and got charged £15 30p for the short journey up the parkway.gave the driver a couple of quid tip ( its not his fault ), so £17 quid plus , bit too much now ,going to compare prices with private hire in future and pre book

What I do find annoying is when I ask roughly how much it will be to xxx and the driver doesn't know. I'm not asking for a firm price but just want to check I have enough cash on me to pay.

What has also annoyed me, twice, is when I've got black cabs from the station and they've gone a very long way around to my destination. Now, as a Sheffielder, I know my way around so I wonder whether they are making the journey longer than need be in order to increase the price. Obviously the two drivers who have done that are in a minority and neither of them got a tip!

When that happens to me I just refuse to pay.

how can people say there aren't enough black cabs in sheffield? i don't think there is a city in the country that has as many taxis as sheffield, especially in relation to its size. the number of taxis at the train station is quite incredible, and there is always a long queue on barkers pool.

Sharp you obviously don't go near barkers pool on Friday/Saturday nights. There are usually a lot more flying pigs than cabs.

i've never had a problem getting a taxi there, any night of the week, any time of day. i used to get back into sheffield on a saturday night/sunday morning at 1am and always got a cab no problem.

how come i can get a private hire cab from thorpe hesley to west street for £9.50 but the same journey back in a black cab cost just under £20?

exactly what i am trying to say, black cabs are starting to price themselves out of the market.Frequently get a private car from mosborough to whiston for £12 but the black cab is £18 ish.

Due to the one way system the meter can be on £5 before I've left the town centre which is quite annoying, but thats not your fault. Would be good if you had a small rank at centretainment. After a trip to the cinema, the last thing I want to do is wait at a freezing cold tram stop for 20 minutes.

Archived