My Favourite Footballer

old tup

I lived at Owlerton for the first 20 yrs of my life,as a young Tup I would watch Sheffield Wednesday train from our kitchen window on Liversey St.So I dont know why I was a Blades supporter,I remember back to the Joe Shaw era.My young bro and I plus 2 mates would watch the Blades one week and the Owls the next,behind the goal at Hillsborough on the kop and John St at the lane,always the same spot.We saw some great players in both teams,my favourite by a mile was Tony Currie,he had it all,talent you couldn,t train into one,a fierce shot in both feet,heading skill.He could make a 30 yd pass perfect everytime,dribbling no probs,one incident I remember he nuttmeged the great Allan Ball ran on stopped sat on the ball and beckoned him to come and get it, the crowd went wild.God knows what his value would be today,United got him for 20 thousand pounds from Watford,what a player!:love::love::love:

My favourite....Tony Currie!!! Dont live in Sheffield any more so only see whats going on via their website but I can still remember the first team from the 1967 ish era. It was the same team give or take all season but these days its never the same 2 games running....no wonder they've had a crap season!! And I'm a girly...what do I know about football?

Norman Curtis Sheffield Wednesday full back of the 50's what a player I remember Blackburn Rovers coming to Hillsborough when they had Duggan, Dobing & Douglas playing for them. Blackburn kicked off and the ball went to Douglas on the wing only for Norman to tackle him, which resulted in Douglas finishing up on the shale track after being airbone over the snow they had cleared from the pitch, sad to say Douglas wasn't interested in playing the ball after that and Norman had a steady afternoon, Norman had a canonball shot and would take the penalties scoring most of them as his reputation preceded him, leaving the goalkeepers changing there underwear prior to the kick. In this modern day football Norman wouldn't have stood a chance of staying on the pitch long. He finished his career managing Buxton and sadly died last year. Rest in peace and thanks for the memories

I lived at Owlerton for the first 20 yrs of my life,as a young Tup I would watch Sheffield Wednesday train from our kitchen window on Liversey St.So I dont know why I was a Blades supporter,I remember back to the Joe Shaw era.My young bro and I plus 2 mates would watch the Blades one week and the Owls the next,behind the goal at Hillsborough on the kop and John St at the lane,always the same spot.We saw some great players in both teams,my favourite by a mile was Tony Currie,he had it all,talent you couldn,t train into one,a fierce shot in both feet,heading skill.He could make a 30 yd pass perfect everytime,dribbling no probs,one incident I remember he nuttmeged the great Allan Ball ran on stopped sat on the ball and beckoned him to come and get it, the crowd went wild.God knows what his value would be today,United got him for 20 thousand pounds from Watford,what a player!:love::love::love:

Jim Baxter used to do the same thing.

Shackleton of Sunderland.

He wrote a book and left one page blank except for the heading :- " what directors know about football. "

He had this thing about referees blowing the whistle before the ball crossed the goal line. Sunderland were playing Pompey at Roker Park and were 3-0 up when Shacks got the ball dribbles around a couple of players then kicked the ball towards goal only to stop it, you guessed it, the Ref. had blown and pointed to the centre spot. The crowd went wild.

Archived