My Favourite Footballer

old tup

Scousemouse remembers George Best as being like a ballet dancer, he certainly was. I consider myself fortunate seeing the likes of Best, Bobby Charlton, and Denis Law when they played together. I used to see them at the old 'Dell' in Southampton, it was very small and awkward for some visiting teams, about the minimum size for a football ground. Not for Best,Charlton and Law though. I saw Charlton just clip Southampton's crossbar from the half way line once with one of his thunderbolt shots. The crowd at the Archers Road end parted like the Red Sea.

I lived at Owlerton for the first 20 yrs of my life,as a young Tup I would watch Sheffield Wednesday train from our kitchen window on Liversey St.So I dont know why I was a Blades supporter,I remember back to the Joe Shaw era.My young bro and I plus 2 mates would watch the Blades one week and the Owls the next,behind the goal at Hillsborough on the kop and John St at the lane,always the same spot.We saw some great players in both teams,my favourite by a mile was Tony Currie,he had it all,talent you couldn,t train into one,a fierce shot in both feet,heading skill.He could make a 30 yd pass perfect everytime,dribbling no probs,one incident I remember he nuttmeged the great Allan Ball ran on stopped sat on the ball and beckoned him to come and get it, the crowd went wild.God knows what his value would be today,United got him for 20 thousand pounds from Watford,what a player!:love::love::love:

Tup i am surprised at thi! Albert Quixall of the Parson Cross would have gen Curry a ten brake so would Johny Fantham from Pitsmoor and then the greatest Sheffield footballer ever Derick Dooley.

Tony Currie was good but good old Sheffield hero's were miles better.

Tup i am surprised at thi! Albert Quixall of the Parson Cross would have gen Curry a ten brake so would Johny Fantham from Pitsmoor and then the greatest Sheffield footballer ever Derick Dooley.

Tony Currie was good but good old Sheffield hero's were miles better.

Also from Pitsmoor......me too!

Johny Fantham, wot a player he were. I remember the 66/67 season, he was getting on a bit then but he still scored some goals for Wednesday that season. They went in off his feet his head, his back, his chest, and even his arse, (s'cuse my french) Bless him ......... Happy days

I was a big Owls fan as a teenager, but maybe being 'female, I was more interested in the good looks of the players than their actual talents... Brian Hornsby, Mick Pickering, Mark Smith, Bob Boulder in goal, I did think Chris Turner was far better!!!

Mel Sterland is a lovely bloke and was best man at my dad's wedding! Must have a special mention for Chrissy Waddle- Brilliant! Funny, because when I was very young my dad always took me down the 'Lane'....

Archived