William Stones Ltd

farrtj

Back in the 50s I used to go in the 'Lion', back of the City Hall. That was probably the best pint of Stones I've ever tasted. Sometimes it was referred to as 'Just like wine' and I'll swear that sometimes you'd get your pint and it had a faint green tinge to it. No other beer had it all like Stones best bitter.

Remember walking down Neepsend and smelling the brew, on cold days the steam used to swirl from the brew house. I remember seeing the cask washers steaming the casks prior to being refilled with ale.

Amazing that a City the size of Sheffield which once supported several major regional breweries, Stones, Wards & Whitbread now has only microbreweries.

I wonder how many brewery drays left each of the above mentioned breweries daily to deliver beer to the wider area? Certainly Sheffield beer got out into Lincolnshire, Derbyshire, North Nottinghamshire, Humberside, East & North Yorkshire.

When I lived in Crosspool, me and 'the gang' would often walk down to the York in Broomhill for a few pints of Stones. I wish the beer I drink today tasted like 1962 Stones's. And cost 1/8d a pint.

• 3 months later...
Back in the 50s I used to go in the 'Lion', back of the City Hall. That was probably the best pint of Stones I've ever tasted. Sometimes it was referred to as 'Just like wine' and I'll swear that sometimes you'd get your pint and it had a faint green tinge to it. No other beer had it all like Stones best bitter.

Used to go there with Bud Callaghan, Spud Murphy, Mick Smith and the Wheelers crowd, for t' billy stewensers.

Names ring any bells?

There is a pub in Ottawa the 'Earl of Sussex" on Sussex Dr just near the National Gallery .

I was in there about 13 years ago and they had Stones on draft.

Probably a far cry from the Stones of the 50s.

I told the landlord "I was probably conceived on this beer"

I do believe they sold it at the Shiregreen W M club which my dad frequented with his stepfather

Archived