Should "pet" ownership be phased out. ?

In my opinion, yes.

We don't "need" pets, they are there for our pleasure, and pet ownership is open to abuse as we well know.

i think it's time to phase this out myself, whilst they provide companionship for a lot of people the negatives outweigh the positives for me, you only have to look at the rescue situation highlighted on here.

Ok, i accept, there are responsible owners who would suffer but ultimately if you care about animal welfare first it makes sense, no pets, no pet cruelty.

Opinions.

What are we going to do with all the pets. kill them off, what happens to all the breeds that are are produced as pet animals, they couldn't find a niche to fill in the wild. What happens to all the people who work in the pet industry?

Sod the pet industry.

I don't know how it would work to be honest, but i'm sick of seeing dumped pets, it's time for a change.

If there are no pets there can be no pet abuse.

That's just stupid. There will always be animal abuse! All we animal owners (I use the term loosely, I didn't choose to 'own' my animal, but I'm the best thing she has going for her) do is to do the best we can for the animals we look after.

Archived