Should "pet" ownership be phased out. ?

It's amazing the way that everyone's heaped abuse on the OP for suggesting this. How many of you doing that were all in favour of banning animals from circuses, for example? Is that not a fairer comparison?

performing lions and elephants kept in small cages can hardly be compared with a cat that is free to roam about:loopy:

I don't know how it would work to be honest, but i'm sick of seeing dumped pets, it's time for a change.

You want to see the end of "dumped pets" by stopping people having any pets? If so, you are punishing the very people who don't create the problem in the first place.

performing lions and elephants kept in small cages can hardly be compared with a cat that is free to roam about:loopy:

And caged birds? Rodents in cages? Lizards in a vivarium? What about people who teach their dog tricks?

Have one of these back yourself :loopy:

In my opinion, yes.

We don't "need" pets, they are there for our pleasure, and pet ownership is open to abuse as we well know.

i think it's time to phase this out myself, whilst they provide companionship for a lot of people the negatives outweigh the positives for me, you only have to look at the rescue situation highlighted on here.

Ok, i accept, there are responsible owners who would suffer but ultimately if you care about animal welfare first it makes sense, no pets, no pet cruelty.

Opinions.

It seems like you're pandering to the lowest common denominator.

You could change pets to cars, and then we'd have no traffic accidents, though I doubt you'd get many takers.

I don't see why anyone should be prevented from having a pet that they love and care for properly because someone else doesn't and can't. The real solution here is to have severe penalties for animal abuse and cruelty, something which is sorely missing at the moment.

Archived