Should "pet" ownership be phased out. ?

I don't think they should be phased out, however, I do believe there should be a system in place which grants a household a license to own a pet.

There are far too many people who cannot afford, don't have the time and just shouldn't be allowed near animals. You just have to take a quick look at the local RSPCA websites to see the amount of staffies / staffy crosses to see their is a huge problem.

By that same logic if there are no humans there can be no abuse of humans.

No, that's absolutely not the same logic at all.

Using the same logic would give you:

"if there was no slavery there would be no slaves".

Humans are not analagous to pets, but slaves are, in many ways.

I'm not knocking the unemployed, but a fine is no deterrent to them as the courts will fine based on a means test, which will see them lose maybe £2 a week at most, which is no real deterrent really is it.

Eradicate 99% of the unemployed from this equation by getting rid of Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

I've had dogs all my life, but a change is needed.

Did you not get any pleasure out of having dogs then? Pet ownership is a joy and a comfort to many who live alone. Would you deny that to people because of the behaviour of a minority of pet owners?

You would set your dog on someone knocking at your door?

No one is suggesting removing your pets. The OP is suggesting fading out pets.

Wonderful, just wonderful !! Imagine the thousands and thousands of people who find comfort in having a pet, lonely old people, young kids as well as the millions of others whose pets are very much a part of the family.

I think they ought to fade out people who go around with ideas like that in their heads but forunately for us all crackpot ideas remain only in the heads of the crackpots who come up with them

Wonderful, just wonderful !! Imagine the thousands and thousands of people who find comfort in having a pet, lonely old people, young kids as well as the millions of others whose pets are very much a part of the family.

I think they ought to fade out people who go around with ideas like that in their heads but forunately for us all crackpot ideas remain only in the heads of the crackpots who come up with them

We've always had pets and I couldn't think of a time when we didn't have a beloved doggie in our house.

The mere concept is horrendous. What we need is some way of controlling those people who treat their pets abysmally (and there are plenty).

Tougher controls are needed!

We've always had pets and I couldn't think of a time when we didn't have a beloved doggie in our house.

The mere concept is horrendous. What we need is some way of controlling those people who treat their pets abysmally (and there are plenty).

Tougher controls are needed!

Where I live the animal control departmenti is also part of the police department. There are very few strays around but if a stray is reported to the animal control it's taken in to a holding compound then on to an animal shelter where if it's not adopted within 7 day' it's euthanized.

Maybe in Sheffield there's a whole dofferent problem but even so the OP seems to be of the opinion that everyone should be penalised for the irresponsibility of the few. People with that mentality just irritate me

No, that's absolutely not the same logic at all.

Using the same logic would give you:

"if there was no slavery there would be no slaves".

Humans are not analagous to pets, but slaves are, in many ways.

The OP suggested that to stop abuse of pets it would be better to get rid of all pets.

Humans abuse each other all the time...so...why not get rid of all humans to stop the problem?

See what I mean? :)

Archived