Religious people, Do you believe dinosaurs ever existed?

Then why should they still believe in ANY of the bible?

If it's okay to stop believing in some parts of the book because we know better now, what makes people think ANY of it is true?I've heard people defend the fantasy of the bible saying that it's written in metaphors - surely the "God" in the bible is more likely to be a metaphor (for good values and morals) rather than an actual super-being that gives no evidence for his own existence?

What makes you think any of it is not true? If the bible brings comfort to people and in many cases in times of stress, misery and trouble then it's a positive force in their lives.

I never had any problem in believing in dinosaurs, evolution etc even as a churchgoing Christian.

Seems to me that there's an unhealthy number of people about eho seem to want to police what other folk think.

Well said. It amazes me how some people get so riled about another person's personal beliefs.

This is a stupid thread. Do you seriously believe that in this day and age the average Christian still believes in the Adam and Eve theory.?

In the USA atleast yes that is what the average Xian believes. polls there return about 50% of those polled to be outright creationists.

1/3 - 1/4 believe in theistic evolution.

10-15% believe in evolution.

Source.

In the USA atleast yes that is what the average Xian believes. polls there return about 50% of those polled to be outright creationists.

1/3 - 1/4 believe in theistic evolution.

10-15% believe in evolution.

Source.

I'm not a regular churchgoer myself but on the odd occasion I like to spend a little time in such places and I believe the Ten Commandments while impossibel for the average human being to follow completely are a good guide to living a decent enough life. I've talked to many religious people over the years on the subject of Adam and Eve vs Evolution and there was only one person, a devout Catholic who refused to believe in evolution.

Poll results depend a lot on where and whom the people being polled live and who they are.

I would say that if the poll was conducted in New York or some other very large city the results would differ considerably than if the poll was conducted in largely rural areas especially in those areas in the midwest

Yeah... on the second day god created all the plants. On the third day - a billion million years later - god created the sun and, due to lack of sunlight for a billion million years, all the plants had died.

DOH!

They used grow lamps,thats how cannabis growing came about.

If you do then doesn't this contradict the evidence in the Bible / Koran that Adam and Eve were the first inhabitants?

Of course Dinosaurs existed! Didn't you ever watch the Flintstones? :lol:

As I told that bloke who came round this morning (see my thread in the Sheffield discussion section) I'm an atheist but I still believe in the Dinosaurs...

What makes you think any of it is not true? If the bible brings comfort to people and in many cases in times of stress, misery and trouble then it's a positive force in their lives.

That's fine, I never said it wasn't true. I was responding to this:

This is a stupid thread. Do you seriously believe that in this day and age the average Christian still believes in the Adam and Eve theory.?

Following on from people realising that the Adam and Eve theory is unlikely to be factually accurate, I was saying that if they can change their mind about THAT, then what's to stop them changing their mind about the REST of the bible? It makes sense that if your view has changed about one part, then the rest would be worth re-evaluating. I have no doubt it gives some people comfort, and that's good if it works for them.

If you do then doesn't this contradict the evidence in the Bible / Koran that Adam and Eve were the first inhabitants?

there are plenty of religious people who do not believe that a very literal interpretation of the english translation of the first few chapters of the book of genesis is a requirement to be called religeous

I never had any problem in believing in dinosaurs, evolution etc even as a churchgoing Christian.

Seems to me that there's an unhealthy number of people about eho seem to want to police what other folk think.

Thinking of a certain poster are you? :hihi:

Archived