What was the first human addiction. ?

Addiction is a subjective word i guess.

I see it as maybe swapping a source of protein or some other sustaining food for a food that would be classed as a luxury food, swapping meat for honey etc, talking in food terms.

It's a difficult one to get your head around isn't it, as we're so far removed form the first "addicts".

Addiction is a subjective word i guess.

I see it as maybe swapping a source of protein or some other sustaining food for a food that would be classed as a luxury food, swapping meat for honey etc, talking in food terms.

It's a difficult one to get your head around isn't it, as we're so far removed form the first "addicts".

First bold - I don't think so, per se. Addiction is a physical urge for a substance (whatever it may be), where as food and water are physical urges with requirements [i.e. needs!], otherwise we die.

We are, and have evolved into taking in as many calories as possible whilst they are available, and in the last 100 hundred years or so, and with plentiful food in this country, perhaps is one partial reason why there are so many fat or unhealthy people around today.

The ability to pick and choose what foods to eat - is the luxury.

I guess peoples mindsets are so different it's hard to say what are and aren't addictions, besides "real" addictions.

Personally i can buy a chocolate cake and not touch it for weeks, but my kids, having one piece have to go back for another, not addiction in the true sense i know but neither a craving, just an urge to partake, and they'd happily swap their sustaining meal for a sugar fix.

I guess peoples mindsets are so different it's hard to say what are and aren't addictions, besides "real" addictions.

Personally i can buy a chocolate cake and not touch it for weeks, but my kids, having one piece have to go back for another, not addiction in the true sense i know but neither a craving, just an urge to partake, and they'd happily swap their sustaining meal for a sugar fix.

Evolution is action. High calorie and sweet.

Evolution is action. High calorie and sweet.

I'm not quite sure what you mean there, but what i'm saying is given the chance, my kids, not knowing better would take sugar over protein everytime, which could easily become, and be classed as an addiction to sugar.

Archived