Are we perfect beings?

I was chatting to my [muslim] mate yesterday... and we had a minor argument about evolution...

His claim was that humans are 'perfect beings', so MUST have been created by god.

A quick recap of the convo started as this...

I suggested as a starter that 'we can't see in the dark, so we aren't perfect'.

He said that 'seeing in the dark isn't perfection!'... fair enough. So I said 'are flies perfect as they can fly but we can't'. 'No', he said, 'because flies can't think'...

I know I'm not wrong, but here's the question... 'ARE we perfect beings?'

We live the perfect process created by the universe...and we do that perfectly...whether we realise it or not. :)

His claim was that humans are 'perfect beings', so MUST have been created by god.

Might be a good idea to substantiate that a god exists before making that claim.

Here's a thought: Can a perfect being only create something of equal perfection. Would anything less render that being imperfect?

Thread title: Are we perfect beings?

Answer: No.

Reasons:

We have a blind spot.

Our vital organs are exposed.

Our bone structure is more suitable for moving on all four appendages.

Our senses are so very dulled compared to most other creatures on the planet.

We use the same tube for both eating and breathing (massive increase in choking risk).

We (not all) believe in gods.

If you pursued the debate with him, you'd almost certainly find that he is defining the conclusion - in that his definition of "perfect creature" would be a human being, therefore human beings are perfect.

I know better than to get into words games with you ;)

Here's a thought: Can a perfect being only create something of equal perfection. Would anything less render that being imperfect?

Good point. If the first bit is true, then the original perfect being would be crap, or at least be dead. blah blah, I don't need to write anymore, you know it.

Thread title: Are we perfect beings?

Answer: No.

Reasons:

We have a blind spot.

Our vital organs are exposed.

Our bone structure is more suitable for moving on all four appendages.

Our senses are so very dulled compared to most other creatures on the planet.

We use the same tube for both eating and breathing (massive increase in choking risk).

We (not all) believe in gods.

You could have added many more to this. I tried, but he wouldn't have it. He just said I was a mutated monkey, at best. :hihi:

As we are still evolving we cant be perfect.

I'm not sure this is true. We could have been nearer perfection, but are evolving imperfections by tampering with our own nature :suspect:

NOTHINGS perfect, if anything that makes us less likely from god and more likely from evolution, evolution keeps changing living creatures, adding bits and taking bits away for survival to make the ultimate perfect being

Are we perfect beings?

Bit of a stretch of the imagination when you consider what people are capable of, genocide, brutality, torture and rape....

There again history also shows selfless individuals capable of great good, but no, given my first paragraph, how could we be considered perfect beings...

Archived