Is it now unlawful to protest the royal wedding?

Perhaps the police regard 'disruption' as a breach of the peace?

Yes but I as far as I know there is no offence of 'breach of the peace' in England.

The nearest thing I know to it is 'behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace', which arguably could equally be applied to Wills and Kate for throwing an ostentatious wedding during times of hardship as it could to any protesters.

John X

Yes but I as far as I know there is no offence of 'breach of the peace' in England.

The nearest thing I know to it is 'behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace', which arguably could equally be applied to Wills and Kate for throwing an ostentatious wedding during times of hardship as it could to any protesters.

John X

The police along with the rest of us have common law powers to arrest for breach of the peace.

What better day to protest than the day itself?

The huge security operation is going on because it is a huge event. If it was a small service in the private chapel in Balmoral, there would be a proportionately much smaller security operation. They have made it a huge public event and those who oppose it are as much a part of the public as those who want to go and cheer them on.

And all information coming out from the Met is that they see the protests as a greater threat to the day than terrorism.

The whole thing is a slap in the face to the poor and dispossessed so why can't the poor and dispossessed turn up on the day to let them know what they think of it.

John X

So the police and security services should contend with possible breach of the peace and security issues simultaneously?

If a suicide bomber blows up a crowd being 'kettled' are you going to endorse the police decision to split their resources?

The police along with the rest of us have common law powers to arrest for breach of the peace.

In theory, but if I tried to arrest Wills and Kate for behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace I know I wouldn't get far.

When Peter Tatchell tried to make a lawful citizens arrest on Robert Mugabe in London, not only was he not aided by the police but they immediately took Mugabe's side, violently removing Tatchell and his colleagues without even considering the evidence that Tatchell had with him.

Us and them.

John X

In theory, but if I tried to arrest Wills and Kate for behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace I know I wouldn't get far.

When Peter Tatchell tried to make a lawful citizens arrest on Robert Mugabe in London, not only was he not aided by the police but they immediately took Mugabe's side, violently removing Tatchell and his colleagues without even considering the evidence that Tatchell had with him.

Us and them.

John X

Mugabe was protected by diplomatic immunity, and Wills and Kate are merely marrying not reasonably considered behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace is it?

I doubt anyone in the cathedral will be protesting.

On the streets of the capital however, why shouldn't any citizen have the right to protest at what they see as patronising, outdated, and a huge waste of our money?

John X

How about you let folks know when a member of your family is getting married so that we can disrupt their wedding?

Wills and Kate are merely marrying

Not if the media is to be believed, we are about to witness the 'event of the century'

The only mitigation for Kate and Wills would be that they are so detached from the real world that they genuinely did not understand why such a large-scale, ostentatious wedding would cause offense to so many people. :)

John X

Not if the media is to be believed, we are about to witness the 'event of the century'

The only mitigation for Kate and Wills would be that they are so detached from the real world that they genuinely did not understand why such a large-scale, ostentatious wedding would cause offense to so many people. :)

John X

They shouldn't be ! They are selling chip wrappers it isn't their wedding.

Archived