Dog attacks on kids, why's it always a Staffy?

It's amazing that there are people who actually try to deny that certain breeds of dog, breeds which were specifically bred to fight, tend to be unusually prone to attack people and because they're powerful dogs distressingly good at attacking them.

I have to agree with you. It's quite straightforward to say that it's the owners that are the problem, yet for good reason it's not legal for any Tom, Dick or Harry to own a pet tiger as long as they treat it responsibly.

(before anyone jumps on me for suggesting a Staffordshire is as dangerous a tiger, it's hyperbole).

The owner of the dog, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier type

#2 Has nothing to say they were pedigree Stafford's

#3 As above but there was more than one type of dog there as well

So you haven't found any link to a proper Stafford killing kids even though you went around Europe trying after saying they kill more than their fair share of children.

Now don't get me wrong. I know there is a massive problem with cross breed staffy type dogs. I have never said there isn't. I also know a lot of attacks are committed by these dogs.

The only thing i have a problem with is people saying 'Staffie' when most of the time it is a mongrel and not a Staffy at all.

Whisky is a far more powerful intoxicant than lager, that doesn't mean lager won't get you drunk.

Just because Staffys aren't the absolute worst type of dog in terms of their tendency to attack and the severity of those attacks it doesn't mean that they aren't very much at the 'powerful & dangerous' end of the spectrum.

Because they look butch?

Taken directly from Wikipedia...

Although individual differences in personality exist, common traits exist throughout the Staffords. Due to its breeding, the modern dog is known for its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog.[3] It has been said that "No breed is more loving with its family"[4] It is the only breed to have the words 'totally reliable' in its breed standard. Furthermore, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is one of only two breeds from over 190 recognized by the UK Kennel Club to have a mention of the breed's suitability with children.

So... What is at fault? The dog with the temperament above or the thicko owner?

[Edit] My bold. Note the word modern.

if you look deep in to a lot of these attack yes it says staffy or staffy type dog in most cases they are mixed breeds -pitbullxstaffy some times with a touch of ridge back or mastiff the list go,s on

most pure breed staffys are good loveing dogs with good owners .

#2 Has nothing to say they were pedigree Stafford's

#3 As above but there was more than one type of dog there as well

So you haven't found any link to a proper Stafford killing kids even though you went around Europe trying after saying they kill more than their fair share of children.

Now don't get me wrong. I know there is a massive problem with cross breed staffy type dogs. I have never said there isn't. I also know a lot of attacks are committed by these dogs.

The only thing i have a problem with is people saying 'Staffie' when most of the time it is a mongrel and not a Staffy at all.

Yes and No True Scotsman has every committed a murder :roll:

It's plain for all to see that you haven't the slightest interest in reality you are simply dead set upon trying to defend this particular breed of fighting dog come what may and will try to dismiss any evidence presented that you find inconvenient on the flimsiest of excuses.

I am somewhat impressed though the "well the Staffy wasn't the only type of dog involved therefore that attack doesn't count" is a novel line of argument which would never have occured to me. It's not good or valid line of argument obviously but none the less a novel one.

Because they look butch?

No because they were bred to attack bulls & because they have a clear track record of serious attacks on people.

Taken directly from Wikipedia...

If it's all down to the owners then where are all the stories of labs, retrievers, collies... attacking and killing people?

I known a few people who had labs who were far from being genii and really rather doubt that this is unusual.

[Edit] My bold. Note the word modern.

Oh please as it's talk section notes that wiki entry was clearly written by someone as devoted to defending staffys as you are, for all we know you could have written it.

Would there be anything wrong with either a ban or tight regulation on the future sale or purchase of such dogs then? That way dogs aren't being punished just for being the breed they are, and as time goes on the world will be a better place than it is now without people strutting around and using them as a status symbol or owning them for their aggressiveness.

Would there be anything wrong with either a ban or tight regulation on the future sale or purchase of such dogs then? That way dogs aren't being punished just for being the breed they are, and as time goes on the world will be a better place than it is now without people strutting around and using them as a status symbol or owning them for their aggressiveness.

I wouldn't go for a ban but tight regulation for sure. We recently lost our Staffie at the ripe old age of 15. We have started looking around again and the amount of pedigree Staffies being sold as 'good sires' is appalling.

I said a couple of days ago that we need to bring licenses back and heavy penalties for anyone not having a license. It would mean the police stopping anyone with a dog and handing out fines (i suggested £80), to anyone without their license or unable to produce it.

Yes and No True Scotsman has every committed a murder :roll:

It's plain for all to see that you haven't the slightest interest in reality you are simply dead set upon trying to defend this particular breed of fighting dog come what may and will try to dismiss any evidence presented that you find inconvenient on the flimsiest of excuses.

I am somewhat impressed though the "well the Staffy wasn't the only type of dog involved therefore that attack doesn't count" is a novel line of argument which would never have occured to me. It's not good or valid line of argument obviously but none the less a novel one.

And you are dead set on calling it a fighting dog just because that is what they were bread for. How many Poodles do you see hunting game these days? :roll:

I am not dismissing evidence. I am not thinking for one second that a Staffie would never attack someone. My only concern is with the press and ignorant people blaming cross breed attacks on real Staffies.

I pointed out the other dog being involved to highlight the fact that the Staffie was not acting alone. Nothing more. I certainly didn't say it doesn't count.

And you are dead set on calling it a fighting dog just because that is what they were bread for. How many Poodles do you see hunting game these days? :roll:

Complete none point. A gun dog such as a retriever or poodle is still a gun dog with the traits that brings even though most aren't used to hunt. Similarly a fighting dog such as a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, pitbull... is still a fighting dog with the traits that brings even though most aren't used to fight.

As such it is completely appropriate to call Staffordshire Bull Terriers 'fighting dogs' whether you like it or not.

I am not dismissing evidence. I am not thinking for one second that a Staffie would never attack someone. My only concern is with the press and ignorant people blaming cross breed attacks on real Staffies.

I pointed out the other dog being involved to highlight the fact that the Staffie was not acting alone. Nothing more. I certainly didn't say it doesn't count.

Liar you followed up your pathetic "there was more than one type of dog there as well" excuse with:

"So you haven't found any link to a proper Stafford killing"

You were absolutely saying that that particular incident of Staffordshire Bull Terrier killing 'didn't count' and you know it.

Archived