AV - how to vote?

I thought Ian Hislop's comment on Have I Got News For You was quite funny when he said 'A vote on AV will be done on the first past the post system'. Made me chuckle but then thought I dont actually know enough of the pro's and con's.

What are people's views on here?

Will there be more or less coalitions?

Will it be fairer to smaller parties?

How does it differ from Proportional Rep?

is it so much different to the current system?

:help:

Under AV, the person coming next to last in the first round could eventually win.

Just not true.

The Conservatives are spreading a load of lies about it, because they know that if we do use AV, they'll be less likely to win (because most people hate them).

I like imagining it like this :

Your mate is off down the shop and asks you if you want anything.

You say, "Yes please, a Mars bar".

Your mate returns, "Sorry, they only had Smarties or dog poo, so I got you dog poo."

The next time he asks, you just say "Smarties," to avoid getting poo.

Under an AV system, you could say, "Mars bar please, but if they don't have any, I'll settle for Smarties."

A second choice is always a good thing, it stops us getting poo instead of chocolate.

Just not true.

The Conservatives are spreading a load of lies about it, because they know that if we do use AV, they'll be less likely to win (because most people hate them).

I like imagining it like this :

Your mate is off down the shop and asks you if you want anything.

You say, "Yes please, a Mars bar".

Your mate returns, "Sorry, they only had Smarties or dog poo, so I got you dog poo."

The next time he asks, you just say "Smarties," to avoid getting poo.

Under an AV system, you could say, "Mars bar please, but if they don't have any, I'll settle for Smarties."

A second choice is always a good thing, it stops us getting poo instead of chocolate.

What a mess!

To O.P, just read post 2.

The trouble is, all the parties about at the moment are poo basically. As it stands elections are all about choosing what flavour poo you would like and AV will not change that.

If it's difficult enough finding 1 candidate worth voting for, it won't really be worth finding a second candidate to choose.

Archived