Disabled asked to pull up stumps literally!

Certain people were accusing others of scaremongering. It now appears most of what was predicted is now to come into being.

Tens of thousands of claimants facing losing their benefit on review, or on being transferred from incapacity benefit, as plans to make the employment and support allowance (ESA) medical much harder to pass are approved by the secretary of state for work and pensions.

The shock plans for ‘simplifying’ the work capability assessment, drawn up by a DWP working group, include docking points from amputees who can lift and carry with their stumps. Claimants with speech problems who can write a sign saying, for example, ‘The office is on fire!’ will score no points for speech and deaf claimants who can read the sign will lose all their points for hearing.

Meanwhile, for ‘health and safety reasons’ all points scored for problems with bending and kneeling are to be abolished and claimants who have difficulty walking can be assessed using imaginary wheelchairs.

Claimants who have difficulty standing for any length of time will, under the plans, also have to show they have equal difficulty sitting, and vice versa, in order to score any points. And no matter how bad their problems with standing and sitting, they will not score enough points to be awarded ESA.

http://www.abcofesa.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=339&p=779&hilit=stumps#p779

Good thing too. It might be true that disability may stop some people doing some jobs but there's very few disabilities that stop you doing any job.

Why do you think this is a bad thing? Should all disabled people be given free handouts for life without ever having to work?

Good point and certainly agree not all disabled people should be given free handouts. The labour party I feel were to blame for the rise in incapacity benefit to keep the unemployment figures down. Some people with "bad backs" have been claiming for over 20 years, that cannot be right.

But because of the system between DWP and ATOS genuinely ill people are being found fit for work. In some cases failed by a medical at their place of work by ATOS as unfit for work and then after claiming benefit being called to an ATOs medical and being found fit for work

Good thing too. It might be true that disability may stop some people doing some jobs but there's very few disabilities that stop you doing any job.

Why do you think this is a bad thing? Should all disabled people be given free handouts for life without ever having to work?

is that right what about if your taking thorazine:loopy:

Maybe this will mean employer's will actually recruit some of these people now and act according the the intent of the Disability Discrimination Act????

I know I won't be holding me breath on that.

Kicking the weakest in society when they are down... typical Tory policies.

Theres a guy where I work who is in a wheelchair, he has no legs, his arms are deformed, he has facial deformities, he has massive problems and disabilities but he works a 3 day week every week. Now if he can do it why can't other "disabled" people? If Stephen Hawking can be a Professor and take lectures why can't other "disabled" people get jobs? If Warwick Davis can be an actor why can't other "disabled" people work? If Cerrie Burnell can present kids TV why can't other "disabled" people work?

Explain to me why people with a "bad back" can't get off it and contribute to society

Theres a guy where I work who is in a wheelchair, he has no legs, his arms are deformed, he has facial deformities, he has massive problems and disabilities but he works a 3 day week every week. Now if he can do it why can't other "disabled" people? If Stephen Hawking can be a Professor and take lectures why can't other "disabled" people get jobs? If Warwick Davis can be an actor why can't other "disabled" people work? If Cerrie Burnell can present kids TV why can't other "disabled" people work?

Explain to me why people with a "bad back" can't get off it and contribute to society

I've also worked with quite a few people with disabilities, some fairly severe like your colleague. The public sector are pretty good at making the 'necessary changes' to comply with the DDA. However, nearly all my colleagues who've had disabilities have had physical impairments.

I think even the better employers are wary of employing people with mental health conditions, often due to a lack of understanding/fear. Those with hidden disabilities (and I don't mean bad backs) are likely to be most at risk of having their benefits stopped, yet may face more barriers to employment.

Archived