Disabled asked to pull up stumps literally!

Do you not get it? This man is so severely disabled he doesn't need to work. He could easily not work and nobody would look at him and blame him for not doing so but he chooses to work despite his disabilities. Now if he can work why should others with far less disabilities choose not to work?

Yes of course I get it, but what I am trying to say is that under the new rules even severely disabled people will lose their benefits and HAVE to go to work there will be no choice about it, it will force people into doing a lot more than they are really capable of doing, which in the end will make them lose the job.

It will make a lot of un employable people that have no way of ever making their lives any better...can you not see that?

Yes of course I get it, but what I am trying to say is that under the new rules even severely disabled people will lose their benefits and HAVE to go to work there will be no choice about it, it will force people into doing a lot more than they are really capable of doing, which in the end will make them lose the job.

It will make a lot of unemployable people that have no way of ever making their lives any better...can you not see that?

No it won't. Severely disabled people will still be severely disabled and unemployable but can still choose to work and find ways round their disabilities if they choose like my admirable colleague. What this will do is get the people who have chosen to be sick at the expense of us all for the last few years out of bed and make them work and why shouldn't they? Why should the examples used in this thread get up and do it and the others not? Why should Shane39's colleague work or Scozzie's mum but not others?

No it won't. Severely disabled people will still be severely disabled and unemployable but can still choose to work and find ways round their disabilities if they choose like my admirable colleague. What this will do is get the people who have chosen to be sick at the expense of us all for the last few years out of bed and make them work and why shouldn't they? Why should the examples used in this thread get up and do it and the others not? Why should Shane39's colleague work or Scozzie's mum but not others?

I'm not saying that people shouldn't am I? :hihi: I am saying that the people who do probably are able to do so because they have the assistance that they need either financial or a very understanding employer...well what about the others that will have neither? how will they maintain being able to work? as I said it is ill thought out and there is no back up plan.

How do you know there isn't?

Do you know that there is?

If there is there has been nothing to say so, if there is then I am sure that a whole lot of people will breathe out a sigh of relief and actually be able to look forward to starting a better life, with more money and social interaction, a life where they are not sneered at and constantly asked to justify their illness, if that is the case then I applaud the new changes, if it is not the case then I am disgusted.

For those people with disabilities lucky enough to find employment there must be many more wishing for such an opportunity, there simply aren't enough of the right type of jobs, nor the right type of employers to support this.

No I don't know there is. I also don't know there isn't.

I do know that if people can work they should work. There is no need for people to be off work "sick" when they are not. It does them no good. If there is to be legislation for employers to support disabled people back into work then I applaud it.

If we are going to reduce the number of people who have been not working when they could have been then so much the better. Even if they only work a few hours a week it is better for them then not doing anything at all. The social interaction alone is worth more than the money.

Hmm, there are exceptions to every rule and pre-conception but re the title of this thread; the amputee working in our local shop seems to manage well enough on the counter, handling goods, operating the till handling money and having a pleasant disposition to boot in spite of only having one arm.

Should he be required (or allowed) to sit at home on benefits instead of being out in the world living a normal life so that somebody else can make cheap political shots?

What would be the 'right kind of job' for an amputee in the OP's opinion?

These kind of threads really annoy me! :rant:

I'm classed as severely disabled, and have been doing voluntary work for nigh on 20 years, including working for South Yorks Police as a Police Support Volunteer, and also working for Hospital Broadcasting Sheffield as a volunteer co-presenter, been doing that about 3 and half years now.

These kind of threads really annoy me! :rant:

I'm classed as severely disabled, and have been doing voluntary work for nigh on 20 years, including working for South Yorks Police as a Police Support Volunteer, and also working for Hospital Broadcasting Sheffield as a volunteer co-presenter, been doing that about 3 and half years now.

Why are the two things related?

Why are the two things related?

I'm just trying to show that contrary to the opinion of readers of the Daily Mail, not all severely disabled are lead swinging scroungers.

And like I've said before, some of us would love to work, but the current system won't let us, because the current anti-discrimination legislation ain't worth the paper it's printed on IMO cos the Government don't enforce it, so companies can get away with discrimination! :rant:

Archived