Disabled asked to pull up stumps literally!

I'm just trying to show that contrary to the opinion of readers of the Daily Mail, not all severely disabled are lead swinging scroungers.

And like I've said before, some of us would love to work, but the current system won't let us, because the current anti-discrimination legislation ain't worth the paper it's printed on IMO cos the Government don't enforce it, so companies can get away with discrimination! :rant:

But possibly there may be new legislation which will make it easier for you to find paid employment.

The issue here isn't the severely disabled anyway. Its the people who aren't actually disabled in any meaningful way who have been allowed to be shunted onto the disabled lists by successive governments of both colours while we had the money. They are now being rooted out. Nobody is arguing that someone should be forced to do something they can't do.

But possibly there may be new legislation which will make it easier for you to find paid employment.

The issue here isn't the severely disabled anyway. Its the people who aren't actually disabled in any meaningful way who have been allowed to be shunted onto the disabled lists by successive governments of both colours while we had the money. They are now being rooted out. Nobody is arguing that someone should be forced to do something they can't do.

No but it seems to me that is exactly what will happen though because people will have no choice but to do what they are told, from what I can see anyway.

I can't speak for Rich and I am not trying too, but working in a voluntary capacity is entirely different to finding paid work, and obviously a lot easier to find.

I can however tell you about a relative of mine with asbergers syndrome, he is 28 years old and has had had one paid job that lasted a year, he was driven to a breakdown by the other workers, who hounded and made fun of him because he was different, there was a mutual lack of understanding.

My relative has not worked since, after a few years of being quite ill because of his experiences he has tried everything in his power to get work, voluntary work, schemes and not just once but over and over again but nothing has ever turned into even a hope of work, he is desperate, he wants to be proud of his life, he wants to buy his own home and lift up his head and say that he has made it against all odds...but that isn't happening for him.

What more should my relative do? he tries so hard and hits a brick wall, every time the result of the failure is a bout of depression, he has been on anti depressants for years, to look at him he would appear to be a strong and capable person, but reality is that his life is in tatters and I fear for him.

All that he has to look forward to now is a big drop in money, a lot of pressure and disapproval both from the government and society, with absolutely nothing that he can do to change about his self.

Your friend clearly needs support in returning to work, an understanding employer and caring friends and relatives.

They don't need an empty and worthless life on benefits and medication.

Your friend clearly needs support in returning to work, an understanding employer and caring friends and relatives.

They don't need an empty and worthless life on benefits and medication.

Oh I totally agree with you and so would he that is what he wants most in the world, but the help or work just isn't there for him, the benefits and medication are just all that is left sadly...so what should people like him do?

It's a good question and one that I hope is being looked into as a part of the reforms.

The problem that we've all seen in recent years is that the safety net has become an ocean going cruise liner with knobs on.

Most people prefer to work and make their way to the best of their real ability (whatever that is) but it's important that a genuine safety net is there small number for those who genuinely need it at various times in their lives.

I hope that your relative is helped properly, appropriately and with dignity with assistance that is genuinely meaningful instead of all the silly statistic manipulation that we often see.

These changes won't ever happen overnight but it has to start somewhere. I fear that the biggest problem will not be people like your relative but the systems that cages them in a horrible and disrespectful way.

It's a good question and one that I hope is being looked into as a part of the reforms.

The problem that we've all seen in recent years is that the safety net has become an ocean going cruise liner with knobs on.

Most people prefer to work and make their way to the best of their real ability (whatever that is) but it's important that a genuine safety net is there small number for those who genuinely need it at various times in their lives.

I hope that your relative is helped properly, appropriately and with dignity with assistance that is genuinely meaningful instead of all the silly statistic manipulation that we often see.

These changes won't ever happen overnight but it has to start somewhere. I fear that the biggest problem will not be people like your relative but the systems that cages them in a horrible and disrespectful way.

Thank you Tony, at least someone seems to see what I am talking about, there are many people like my relative that need help to make a new start in life, I will welcome the changes with open arms if that help is forth coming.

Thank you Tony, at least someone seems to see what I am talking about, there are many people like my relative that need help to make a new start in life, I will welcome the changes with open arms if that help is forth coming.
I know what you're talking about. I don't want to see disabled people lashed to oars and made to row. I want to see people helped and given opportunity to help themselves.

I know what you're talking about. I don't want to see disabled people lashed to oars and made to row. I want to see people helped and given opportunity to help themselves.

Figures out today show 75% of people applying for sickness benefits are fit enough to work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13217824

So while I agree that disabled people should be helped and given opportunity to find work, the fact is that only 1 in 4 of them genuinely need that help, the other 3 out of 4 really are swinging the lead!

Claimants with speech problems who can write a sign saying, for example, ‘The office is on fire!’ will score no points for speech and deaf claimants who can read the sign will lose all their points for hearing.
I do not see why blind or deaf people could not work. However I can see how it might be hard to find suitable, understanding employment. I think this is the problem, there is a lot of people classed as disabled that want to work but the employers are not there for them as they cannot afford the concesssions needed to employ them.

As an employer you want someone to have good attendance, always be capable of doing the job to the same extent as a none disabled person therefore costing the company as little as possible. This is why people that often want to work cannot find suitable employment when competing against others.

The only way I can think around this problem is to scrap the bennefit for people that are disabled but able to do some sort of work, have a top up scheme for people who can only manage part time hours and use the momney saved to pay the companies who employ disabled people so they are not out of pocket for employing someone who might need extra time off, need specific facilities or be slower at the job. This should save money in the long run, give people a chance to be proud of themselves and allow better intergration into the work place and most of all society.

As someone who has worked and payed taxes all my working life. I have no complaint against supporting via the dwp those that cant work though no fault of there own.

I agree totally. If I was ever in a situation when I could not work I would like to think I was looked after. My boyf was diagnosed with RA until the medication got it under control was loosing the mobility in hands and feet. Luckily the job he has now is not manual but before he did have a manual labour style job. The medication he is on costs the NHS £5K+ a year but he is able to work and pay a fair amount of tax, though I bet in real terms it only pays for the medication but it is better for the economy that he works. Interestly if he lived in another County he most likely would not get the drugs and would have a much shortened working life before he would have ended up on bennefits due to loss of ability to walk or use his hands.

Figures out today show 75% of people applying for sickness benefits are fit enough to work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13217824

So while I agree that disabled people should be helped and given opportunity to find work, the fact is that only 1 in 4 of them genuinely need that help, the other 3 out of 4 really are swinging the lead!

I have to agree with this to some extent. I have known 2 people very closely that I feel would be able to work with the right support and it is sad to see them struggle when with a little help and understanding they could be out working. Eventually it leads to a hopelessness that breeds the fear that they are unable to work, destroying them as a person :(

Archived