Getting rather sick of Clegg-bashing now

Sums have been provided earlier. You can find out more for yourself if you take the time. It would be nice if more people did take the time to find out for themselves because suffice to say that while your assumption is commonly held it is incorrect.

Tony, if you mean that some of students won't get jobs at all, never mind decently paid ones (and I'm sure you'd be right), so they won't have to pay back the loans, the debt is still there, and it's still more than in previous years.

I won't indulge your error further. Do some sums. I can do them in my head, you might like to use a calculator if you were a student recently.

Not recently, Tony, years ago, thankfully, when working class kids had opportunity - even Thatcher believed in meritocracy, not like this lot.

I don't see what is so excellent about it. They have not addressed the central point that the wealthiest 10% are rapidly getting richer while everyone else pays for the economic mess left behind by some of these very same multi millionaires, and that coalition policies (also drafted largely by millionaires) are only going to exacerbate this situation.

The majority of people who receive university education are going to pay a lot more for it. Anyone who seriously tries to argue that this is not going to put those from poorer backgrounds off, is either peddling spin for the consumption of the simple minded, or lacking a basic understanding of economic realities.

And so they should, why should everyone else pay for them to go to university. My big problem with the system is they don't pay the fees back if they don't get a job.

And so they should, why should everyone else pay for them to go to university. My big problem with the system is they don't pay the fees back if they don't get a job.

How do you propose they pay the loans back if they're unemployed?

Dole money is the legal minimum it has been decided that person needs per week to survive on. If you want students to pay back their loans then dole will have to be increased for them so that after they have paid back the loan each week they still have the LEGAL MINIMUM AMOUNT required for a person to live.

How do you propose they pay the loans back if they're unemployed?

Dole money is the legal minimum it has been decided that person needs per week to survive on. If you want students to pay back their loans then dole will have to be increased for them so that after they have paid back the loan each week they still have the LEGAL MINIMUM AMOUNT required for a person to live.

Leave them with the debt for live and write it off when they die. It might discourage losers from going to uni to toss it off.

It would be more construction if you explained why you think hard working tax payers should pay for people to go to uni to toss it off.

How many people go to uni to "toss it off"?!

I'm sure we've been over this before (many many times...), but on average graduates pay more tax than non-graduates, and the entire country benefits from having a highly educated workforce.

Or do we need fewer doctors, dentists, architects, speech therapists, physios, engineers, physicists, biomedical scientists etc etc?

Archived