Getting rather sick of Clegg-bashing now

How many people go to uni to "toss it off"?!

I'm sure we've been over this before (many many times...), but on average graduates pay more tax than non-graduates, and the entire country benefits from having a highly educated workforce.

Or do we need fewer doctors, dentists, architects, speech therapists, physios, engineers, physicists, biomedical scientists etc etc?

There was a time when just the gifted went to university and they did end up doing all the jobs you mention and did benefit society. Unfortunately now substantially more people are going to university and many of them won’t benefit society.

If we restrict the numbers and just pay for the brightest to attend university and only doing courses that will benefit society then I wouldn’t have a problem contributing.

I know many children that have attended university doing useless courses and spending most of their time tossing it off, and I don’t see why hard working tax payers should support them when they will never be in a position to pay us back by doing a useful job.

Thousands of graduates on the dole in Leicester, but universities are swamped

Graduates face continued job hurdles

Graduated but can't find a Job?

There was a time when just the gifted went to university and they did end up doing all the jobs you mention and did benefit society. Unfortunately now substantially more people are going to university and many of them won’t benefit society.

If we restrict the numbers and just pay for the brightest to attend university and only doing courses that will benefit society then I wouldn’t have a problem contributing.

I know many children that have attended university doing useless courses and spending most of their time tossing it off, and I don’t see why hard working tax payers should support them when they will never be in a position to pay us back by doing a useful job.

I do understand what you're saying, but even graduates who have done 'softer' courses and go on to do unrelated jobs are generally intellectually stronger for having been to uni, particularly in terms of analytical and reporting skills. The most valuable resource this country has is its people, so doesn't it make sense to develop that resource as much as possible?

Imagine if the Lib Dems had backed Brown's Labour Party - Cleggy would have been run out of the country.

Be careful what you wish for.

What if he had stood his ground and told the Conservatives to go it alone, or better still he could have formed a pact with them, we support you where we can but we retrain our integrity.

If you don't like the valid answer you really shouldn't ask the question Malky.

You asked me what I thought. Since I'm not the Lib-Dems my answer isn't for the good of anyone, it's just the plain truth.

I do understand what you're saying, but even graduates who have done 'softer' courses and go on to do unrelated jobs are generally intellectually stronger for having been to uni, particularly in terms of analytical and reporting skills. The most valuable resource this country has is its people, so doesn't it make sense to develop that resource as much as possible?

Not in my experience, my son is an accountant he didn't go to university, he worked and studied at home for his qualification, the university graduates he comes in contact with at work are useless.

Many of the students going to university would be better off doing an apprenticeship; our society cannot afford to send every child to university just so they can get a job in McDonalds or spend their life on the dole.

Not in my experience, my son is an accountant he didn't go to university, he worked and studied at home for his qualification, the university graduates he comes in contact with at work are useless.

Many of the students going to university would be better off doing an apprenticeship; our society cannot afford to send every child to university just so they can get a job in McDonalds or spend their life on the dole.

Imagine what they would be like if they hadn't been to uni!

How many people go to uni to "toss it off"?!

I'm sure we've been over this before (many many times...), but on average graduates pay more tax than non-graduates, and the entire country benefits from having a highly educated workforce.

Or do we need fewer doctors, dentists, architects, speech therapists, physios, engineers, physicists, biomedical scientists etc etc?

Why are we needing immigrants to fill some of these type of posts if our university system is so good ?

If you don't like the valid answer you really shouldn't ask

it's just the plain truth.

Why is it valid or true?

The conservatives could have gone it alone, with the backing of the Lib Dems where possible, no doubt we would be having a election sooner rather than later ………… that could still happen but the only difference is that the Lib Dems have lost any credibility.

Roll on 5th May

Archived