Getting rather sick of Clegg-bashing now

That wasn't the Tories or the Liberals though, that was down to the previous Labour government under Tony Bliar (deliberate typo, I never did like that bloke!)

Labour did introduce tuition fees, true. The Lib/Dems said they would do away with them but instead trebled them.

Labour did introduce tuition fees, true. The Lib/Dems said they would do away with them but instead trebled them.

We do not have a LibDem government, we have a Conseravate-led coalition. It was said coalition that trebled the fees. After such a public pre-election pledge I would imagine that the LibDems would have been against this rise behind the scenes but their hands were forced by the Conservatives on the matter.

We do not have a LibDem government, we have a Conseravate-led coalition. It was said coalition that trebled the fees. After such a public pre-election pledge I would imagine that the LibDems would have been against this rise behind the scenes but their hands were forced by the Conservatives on the matter.

Then they should have had a free vote and voted on the issue, after a parliamentary debate, instead of being binded by the coalition document.

Their hands were never "forced". They agreed to the coalition document, if it was such a point of principle before the election their negotiators should have stuck to it when drawing up the coalition agreement.

Actually at the grass roots level there has been a lot of opposition by the LibDems to the NHS reforms (remember the Spring conference?). Also, the reforms are now being reviewed which may have something to do with the LibDem objections. I simply don't know on this.

As regards education reforms (free schools etc?), the Tories were pretty clear in their manifesto as to what they proposed to do.

I don't remember them telling us one of the first things they were going to do was scrap the EMA, and allow universities to set their own fees.

We do not have a LibDem government, we have a Conseravate-led coalition. It was said coalition that trebled the fees.

So the LibDems aren't responsible for anything they have done? Except for the inconvenient fact that the Tories needed their support to introduce these merasures, and they gave that support, doing a 180 degree turn on what they had promised and thus making it possible for these things to happen, which could not have happened otherwise. They seem to imagine it will blow over, if only they put the right spin on it. It won't.

Archived