Grrrr. Advice: Plagiarism

I don't know whether to be hopping mad or just laugh about this. I write a column in a paper, and this week's review, I asked a 'trusted' friend to give me a brief review as I was on holiday.

He emailed me his review with the words 'my review'. We discussed it and at no time did he make any comments that it wasn't his.

Today, deadline, I was cutting it down to the required number of words and translating it into my own voice, when I thought I'd Google it, and there it was. He'd copied it from the web!

He did what he always does and fobbed me off with comments like 'I never said it was my review' but the intent was damn clear... This is a serious thing and I take my column very seriously.

I've now-rewritten this week's column from scratch, but would YOU be annoyed about this?

What do you all think? I'm really angry and upset about this. Normally I'd just laugh it off - but I wondered if you'd feel the same?

I would imagine that your friend doesn't realise just how serious this is - or would be to you, as the official column writer.

I would try not to be angry with him, but you do have to make it very clear that this could not only have cost you your job, it could even have seen you landed in court facing a huge legal bill. If he's a true friend, he will be appalled at the enormity of what he probably thought was a perfectly acceptable way to fill a column, and he'll apologise profusely.

If I'm wrong, and he is "lazy and dishonest" - quite possible, given that I don't know your friend - you're certainly well advised to jettison him.

So your friend is both lazy and dishonest.

Hmmmm, i think i know what id be inclined to do.

Thanks. Not a lot gets to me. But I can't tell you how angry and upset I am about this... I guess you literally can't trust anyone, even the ones pretending to be your friends.

Weren't you just copying what he had done and putting it into "your own voice" as you put it?

I admit, it must be annoying to find out that the work you were hoping to fob off as your own has already been used!

No, obviously, he did my review and I used his words and translated it into my own voice. I'm hardly 'fobbing' anyone off.

I would imagine that your friend doesn't realise just how serious this is - or would be to you, as the official column writer.

I would try not to be angry with him, but you do have to make it very clear that this could not only have cost you your job, it could even have seen you landed in court facing a huge legal bill. If he's a true friend, he will be appalled at the enormity of what he probably thought was a perfectly acceptable way to fill a column, and he'll apologise profusely.

If I'm wrong, and he is "lazy and dishonest" - quite possible, given that I don't know your friend - you're certainly well advised to jettison him.

Thanks HN. You always offer great advice.

I know from his response "I never said it was my piece" that he's quite happy with the result. No apology nor moment of understanding will be forthcoming.

No, obviously, he did my review and I used his words and translated it into my own voice. I'm hardly 'fobbing' anyone off.

So, people, in good faith, would read your review and believe that it is 'your review', based on 'your first-hand experience', but you asked a 'friend'....mmmm. If you don't believe that's 'fobbing' anyone off, seems like you'll go far in journalism.

So, people, in good faith, would read your review and believe that it is 'your review', based on 'your first-hand experience', but you asked a 'friend'....mmmm. If you don't believe that's 'fobbing' anyone off, seems like you'll go far in journalism.

Funny how people are so quick to judge when I never mentioned the specifics of what was actually under review...

So many people are so quick to judge when this is all about another issue entirely.

I thank you for your "useful" comments!

EDIT: Only on the internet do you get judged when asking for advice. I see it all the time on here. It's tragic.

Funny how people are so quick to judge when I never mentioned the specifics of what was actually under review...

So many people are so quick to judge when this is all about another issue entirely.

I thank you for your "useful" comments!

EDIT: Only on the internet do you get judged when asking for advice. I see it all the time on here. It's tragic.

What does it matter, what was under review? If you're putting your name to it, it should be your review, shouldn't it? Or are you prepared to put your name to anything?

Archived