Howard hotel walkley

blue11265

I paid a visit to a friends house recently and he showed me a jar of old coins. Whilst sorting through them we found a coin or tolken that had the words Howard Hotel Walkley on it.

I know that there is a Howard Hotel in the town center, there is a Howard Rd in Walkley but i cant find any reference to a hotel.

Can anyone help please

There was a Howard Hotel on Howard Road in Walkley but it was demolished many years ago. If my memory serves me correctly it was on the corner of Fulton Road and Howard Road just around the bend past St Joseph's.

I don't know the reason for the demolition or remember seeing any photos of the pub

The foundations to this pub still exist.....if you walk down the passage at the back behind the bus stop, its a gateway next to a driveway leading down towards Birkendale View, you can see the stone built foundations as the path descends which would have been the back wall of the beer cellar.

I've got several photo's of this Hotel,myGt Uncle Charles Strickland ran this until his death in the fifties.I think there are photo's on Picture Sheffield but they will be under Trams.Most of the photo's feature the pub in the background,the trams being the news item

A bit more information re the Howard Hotel. (96 Howard Road, Walkley being the old address)

According to one of my neighbours, the pub itself was a poular local with a snooker/billiards room. He seems to think it was a Teleys pub at the time of its demolition. Anyway the demolition was due to slippage/subsidence of the foundations which may explain why nothing has been built on the site since.

He can't be sure of the actual demolition date but thinks it may be circa the early 1970's

Can't remember a pub on Providence Rd,but Howard H.otel was on Howard Rd not Street which is in city centre.Howard Rd is the continuation of South Rd.

Would be interested if anyone remembers the Pub on Providence Rd and its name

Audrey

Originally posted by audreyf

Can't remember a pub on Providence Rd,but Howard H.otel was on Howard Rd not Street which is in city centre.Howard Rd is the continuation of South Rd.

Would be interested if anyone remembers the Pub on Providence Rd and its name

Audrey

it was right at the bottom of Provience rd, near a stone wall, just before the cobbled walk that led all the way to walkley bridge....... quite a walk to walk back up.

Wonder if that cobbled walks still there, led to a field then a row of terraced houses.

Archived