Are the parent/s at fault if their child cowers when being chastised?

On several occasions when out and about, I've seen children cower when being chastised by their parent/s. On occasions my own kids have cowered when I've been telling them off for whatever reason, which isn't often I might add, nor is it intended, but it's happened nonetheless. Now I don't mean they roll into the fetus position screaming- 'don't hurt me.. don't hurt me', rather, they stand rigid with a look of concern.

I often wonder.. is it a sign of bad parenting if kids react this way to being chastised? What are your thoughts?

Is it cowering or simply a submissive stance because they know they have been naughty.

It that's the case, parents have done their job in teaching right from wrong.

Cower: shrink away to something that menaces/domineers.

Ah, you mean like a teacher.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/6320011.stm

A teacher suffers a violent attack almost every school day in England, official government figures suggest.

There were 221 attacks on teachers last year alone, and 1,128 between 2000 and 2006, information revealed by the Liberal Democrats shows.

So what do you prefer; A kid that knows he's done wrong or another who grows up to be a little git with zero future?

To something that appears to be a menace. Our cat cowers away from the wheely bin whenever I move it around.

The fact that a children is seen to cower away from being told off, doesn't necessarily prove that it has been treated over-harshly on previous occasions. It might mean that, but it might not.

Ah, you mean like a teacher.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/6320011.stm

A teacher suffers a violent attack almost every school day in England, official government figures suggest.

There were 221 attacks on teachers last year alone, and 1,128 between 2000 and 2006, information revealed by the Liberal Democrats shows.

So what do you prefer; A kid that knows he's done wrong or another who grows up to be a little git with zero future?

Personally, I'd prefer the kid who knows he's done wrong.

To something that appears to be a menace. Our cat cowers away from the wheely bin whenever I move it around.

The fact that a children is seen to cower away from being told off, doesn't necessarily prove that it has been treated over-harshly on previous occasions. It might mean that, but it might not.

But cats react that way to all noises don't they. It's a natural instinct, it serves as a survival mechanism.

On several occasions when out and about, I've seen children cower when being chastised by their parent/s. On occasions my own kids have cowered when I've been telling them off for whatever reason, which isn't often I might add, nor is it intended, but it's happened nonetheless. Now I don't mean they roll into the fetus position screaming- 'don't hurt me.. don't hurt me', rather, they stand rigid with a look of concern

I often wonder.. is it a sign of bad parenting if kids react this way to being chastised? What are your thoughts?

I guess you're children aren't cowering re your description (that's if the following definitions are correct) ;)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cower

cow·er (kour)

intr.v. cow·ered, cow·er·ing, cow·ers

To cringe in fear

[Middle English couren, of Scandinavian origin.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

cower [ˈkaʊə]

vb

(intr) to crouch or cringe, as in fear

[from Middle Low German kūren to lie in wait; related to Swedish kura to lie in wait, Danish kure to squat]

If I ever made my children cower by the above definition, I would know without doubt I had failed as a parent.

Archived