Money is not worth a damn nowadays

I go into town, not to eccy road (too far).

To be fair in town I mainly drink G&T and then it costs about £5/drink, but I buy drinks for my friends as well, and I don't believe I've ever paid £3.50 for a pint, except maybe in Leopold Square.

We could pick a few representative places and check the prices online (assuming their available).

Forum (mid market)

Common Room (low end)

Dev Cat (decent)

Old House (open late, always rammed, expensive)

Poppolo's (Leopold Square, don't like the place, expensive)

Leopold Hotel (up market)

All Bar One (good for wine mainly)

St Pauls Hotel (definitely up market)

Anyone know the prices in any of these places for an average pint on tap?

Chuck, I can tell you quickly:):

Forum (usual £3 for Becks-£4 for peroni ) cheaper if they have mon-fri 5-9 deal on.

Common room (around £3 as its a student bar, sometimes cheaper with deals)

Dev cat (whole host of prices but your talking £3.20 upwards for premium lager)

Old house (around £3) but ales can be slightly cheaper

Poppolos £3+

Leopold hotel (£3.50+)

Platillos (£3.50 up to £4+ for premium lager)

All bar one (£3.20 upwards)

St pauls hotel (went 2 years ago and it wasnt cheap, talking £3 for bottles and more for draught)

Eccy road, your talking expensive (£4)at menzles, prince of wales, nonnas

cheaper if you hit the student bars down the bottom. Mid priced at champs..

If youre taking a lady friend out, be careful because ive been rustled for £5-£6 for a glass of wine many times..prices are extortionate here..in paris you can get a bottle for a couple of euros..and they wonder why people dont go out as much..

At least there is a minimum wage. In 1995 I was actually paid £2.20 an hour and that was for a semi-skilled centre lathe turner.

True, but in 1995 you could purchase a home such as a terrace home for £15,000, a council home for under £30,000 and if you wished to push the boat out, you could get a semi detached at Loxley for £55,000

Car insurance - at 17, you could chop this down to £250 a year if you drove round in a fiat panda, plus you could have a night out for less than £20

Going back to the house prices, if things were pro-rata £2.50 ---> £5.93 an hour (an increase of around 125%), then the following costs would be as follows

£15,000 house ----> add 125% would cost you £33750

The council house would cost £65250

The house at Loxley would cost £123750

Car insurance could be purchased for about £550 at the age of 17

Council tax £31 a month in 1995, be about £70 a month now

Things are not pro rata

At the age of 17, if you are male - even a nissan micra will cost £5000 plus to insure, especially if you live in a risky area with high crime rates

Didn't cost my son or daughter anywhere near that only 3 years ago..for a pug206 and a fiesta..

True, but in 1995 you could purchase a home such as a terrace home for £15,000, a council home for under £30,000 and if you wished to push the boat out, you could get a semi detached at Loxley for £55,000

Car insurance - at 17, you could chop this down to £250 a year if you drove round in a fiat panda, plus you could have a night out for less than £20

Going back to the house prices, if things were pro-rata £2.50 ---> £5.93 an hour (an increase of around 125%), then the following costs would be as follows

£15,000 house ----> add 125% would cost you £33750

The council house would cost £65250

The house at Loxley would cost £123750

Car insurance could be purchased for about £550 at the age of 17

Council tax £31 a month in 1995, be about £70 a month now

Things are not pro rata

When I was young you could go for an all inclusive month in Mallorca for a fiver - and still have change.

When I was young you could go for an all inclusive month in Mallorca for a fiver - and still have change.
I think your exaggerating a tad there mate, even a tight fisted Jew boy like me could not have found a bargain like that.:D

Archived