Best route to Glasgow

the island may be the 10th largest in the world, which means it isn't that small, but the brilliant infrastructure on it means that you are unlikely to face serious problems with navigation. Get a friggin' grip.

I'm trying to get a grip dipstick, hence the plea for help so I can make a rational decision rather than step into the wilderness like a lamb to the slaughter ;)

I suggest crossing the Pennines by whichever route you usually take (Snake, Woodhead, or possibly M62) then taking the M60 north, M61, and the M6 north, which becomes the A74M, which becomes the M74, which deposits you in Glasgow only a short distance from the city centre.

The Woodhead pass is a better road than the Snake, but if you hate big lorries the Snake is better as it doesn't have any. The M62 is a far better road than either but it's also a long way round.

Now be gentle with me, Im directionally challenged, and in spite of satnav, large scale maps and encouraging passengers I still get lost, in fact I've never taken the same route twice to get to the same place.

I'm shortly to drive to Glasgow (from Sheffield), the satnav tells me one route (M1, A1), Bing tells me another (M1, M62, M6) and another route planner suggests A57, M67, M6.

Which is the best with plenty of service stations to placate my over enthusiastic bladder and insatiable appetite? Thank you, please :)

So who is she?:hihi:

Now be gentle with me, Im directionally challenged, and in spite of satnav, large scale maps and encouraging passengers I still get lost, in fact I've never taken the same route twice to get to the same place.

I'm shortly to drive to Glasgow (from Sheffield), the satnav tells me one route (M1, A1), Bing tells me another (M1, M62, M6) and another route planner suggests A57, M67, M6.

Which is the best with plenty of service stations to placate my over enthusiastic bladder and insatiable appetite? Thank you, please :)

old easty likes the A1......A66.....then the M6.....scenic route but not advisable in bad weather.....some nice truckstops along the way...cheaper than the service station....

old easty likes the A1......A66.....then the M6.....scenic route but not advisable in bad weather.....some nice truckstops along the way...cheaper than the service station....

+1 on that, being an HGV driver it's alway my choice when going up that end of the world:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, it can be quite slow on the A66 if you get stuck behind someone like me:blush:

Travel quite often to see family at East Kilbride.

Going up, always go M1, Scotch Corner A66 to Penrith and then up from there. Get a good run on the 66 and really cut down on the journey time. fastest yet non stop is 3hr 20.

Coming back down tend to head for manchester as that way you can stop at Britain's most picturesque services at Westmoreland!

Jim

Archived