Best route to Glasgow

Now be gentle with me, Im directionally challenged, and in spite of satnav, large scale maps and encouraging passengers I still get lost, in fact I've never taken the same route twice to get to the same place.

I'm shortly to drive to Glasgow (from Sheffield), the satnav tells me one route (M1, A1), Bing tells me another (M1, M62, M6) and another route planner suggests A57, M67, M6.

Which is the best with plenty of service stations to placate my over enthusiastic bladder and insatiable appetite? Thank you, please :)

Last time I went up that way, to Fort William. I took the A1, A66 and then the M6. It was a doddle... and the A66 is pretty scenic too :)

Hi Boyfriday, Now we live in the west of Scotland we do this journey a few times a year.Yeah as previous poster says, you'd be better off with M1 A1 A66 ,service stations before Penrith and after, but that bit is a long stretch, so make sure you 'Go' before then !!More or less a straight route if you continue that way up to Glasgow and less chance of you missing your turn offs.

Hi Boyfriday, Now we live in the west of Scotland we do this journey a few times a year.Yeah as previous poster says, you'd be better off with M1 A1 A66 ,service stations before Penrith and after, but that bit is a long stretch, so make sure you 'Go' before then !!More or less a straight route if you continue that way up to Glasgow and less chance of you missing your turn offs.

Wish I'd heeded your advice whitehorses, the stretch after Penrith is indeed a long one, I nearly had to make discreet use of an empty Tizer bottle, wont make the same mistake on the way home :blush:

Archived