Public parks to charge a fee??

For those who use the public space to make private money, like the fitness trainers mentioned in the article, I think it's fair enough, but if they want to start charging people to go for a walk or take their kids to the playground, I'd be complaining vociferously.

I don't see how it's at all reasonable to charge anyone to use a free park for a few hours. It's a free park after all, and it's not as though they're causing trouble.

This is going to penalise these groups I think, unfairly.

I don't see how it's at all reasonable to charge anyone to use a free park for a few hours. It's a free park after all, and it's not as though they're causing trouble.

This is going to penalise these groups I think, unfairly.

so charging for a football pitch one day a week is ok then :huh:

so charging for a football pitch one day a week is ok then :huh:

Irrelevant. When last I looked, public parks were free to all whereas a football ground is a business and private property.

The difference is pretty significant!

Not the football grounds in the park so very relevant.

Can't anyone use that?

Actually, arguing with myself, I reslised you do have to pay to use certain tennis courts.

Hmmm. I still don't like the idea of making these groups pay for using the grass...

I gathered from the article that the plan was to charge people who use the park as a site on which to operate their business. Why is that so unreasonable?

Many parents take prams/pushchairs into the park.

So would it be OK for a pram/pushchair shop to set up a line of prams and pushchairs and sell them in the park?

It sounds fair enough to me if the trainer is generating an income because he uses a public park instead of setting up their own facilities they should contribute to its upkeep.

Someone with a food van parking in a public lay-by pays a fee and has a licence.

A taxi driver using a public road pays a fee and has a licence.

A street seller needs and license and pays a fee.

If you run a business in a public space you usually need a licence and pay a fee.

Archived