No double dip for the UK

I can find plenty of links about the IMF bailout in 1976 but nothing to say we weren't allowed to build houses anymore as a result of it.

Did your links tell you anything about the IMF's insistence that the UK government cut their spending?

Perhaps you should read a bit further on the subject, maybe you could look at the IMF conditions for the loan which included deep cuts in public expenditure.

I searched but couldn't find anything, I searched in particular for a condition that said we had to stop building houses.

I searched but couldn't find anything, I searched in particular for a condition that said we had to stop building houses.

There we go then, that explains why you didn't find any reference to the IMF's insistence that the UK government cut their spending.

So, are you saying, the IMF didn't make any specific reference to halting house building?

They didn't exactly have to, since the scale of spending cuts effectively barred the government from building anything! That's what tends to happen when you bankrupt an economy.

Thankfully, the public had sense enough to elect a strong leader who could push through the - thoroughly unpleasant - necessary measures to solve the problem. In the space of ten years we went from economic basket case to one of the four strongest economies in the world.

Archived