q4 2009 +0.4%

q1 2010 +0.3%

q2 2010 +1.2%

q3 2010 +0.7%

q4 2010 -0.5%

q1 2011 +0.5%

Red average over 6 quarters -0.8%

Blue average over 4 quarters +0.7%

and how does this compare, with other countries, like Germany, for example? Just so we can measure global trends whilst we're at it.

It's never Labour's fault is it despite them always being at the helm when the walls come tumbling down? Or is it just that Labour supporters can't get round to admitting that their boys got it wrong yet again?

Actually Thatcher took over a situation of falling output that Labour HADN't repaired.

Not at all I have given reasons for my argument and can back it up with figures and references. Anyone can do a google and they will see that what I have said is accurate.

The economy had improved because of Labour's wage restraint policies. The workers however could see the economy improving could see car workers getting nearly 20% pay rises and understandably wanted some of that themselves. If you want to look at falling output then maybe you should reflect on the 40% reduction in manufacturing in the first few years of Thatchers govt as she went about trashing our industrial base.

q4 2008 -2.0%

q1 2009 -2.7%

q2 2009 -0.7%

q3 2009 -0.2%

q4 2009 +0.4%

q1 2010 +0.3%

q2 2010 +1.2%

q3 2010 +0.7%

q4 2010 -0.5%

q1 2011 +0.5%

Red average over 6 quarters -0.8%

Blue average over 4 quarters +0.7%

Interesting and it illustrates just how bad Osborne and the Tories policies are. Just like in the 70s they take a recovering economy and wreck it, turning positive growth into stagnation.

Cancelled out by the fact that the economy shrank by 0.5% in the previous 3 months - as I said - no gain.

but again you are moving the goal posts. why are you fixating on the previous 3 months? why not go further? but that would put the figures back to a positive slant and that simply wouldn't do for someone like you with an agenda, so you ignore what is published, move the goal posts but only to the one position that suits you.

Not at all I have given reasons for my argument and can back it up with figures and references. Anyone can do a google and they will see that what I have said is accurate.

The economy had improved because of Labour's wage restraint policies. The workers however could see the economy improving could see car workers getting nearly 20% pay rises and understandably wanted some of that themselves. If you want to look at falling output then maybe you should reflect on the 40% reduction in manufacturing in the first few years of Thatchers govt as she went about trashing our industrial base.

You are very selective.

The Social Contract was hardly a measure 'introduced' by Labour. It was forced on them by the unions in return for the abandonment of the Conservatives Industrial Relations Act that prevented unions bringing the nation to its knees. Once repealed the unions went back to business as usual, Labour was kicked out and the Conservatives had to introduce the 3 day week because the NUM wouldn't let its members dig the coal needed to keep the lights on in workplaces.

You make it sound like Labour in the 70's was a model of probity rather than the root cause of the IMF bailing the UK out. Rather like your opinion of the last few years in fact.

Or in the real world.

http://econ.economicshelp.org/2007/03/uk-economy-under-mrs-thatcher-1979-1984.html

When Mrs Thatcher came to power in 1979, the economy was generally considered to be facing severe structural problems including:

* Inflation in double figures

* Powerful Trades unions causing wage inflation and time lost to strikes.

* Unemployment increasing to a post war record of 700,000

* High levels of government debt that required politically sensitive borrowing from the IMF.

Incidentally key industries like auto manufacturing expanded by around 30% under Thatcher after years of decline.

Archived