No double dip for the UK

Interesting and it illustrates just how bad Osborne and the Tories policies are. Just like in the 70s they take a recovering economy and wreck it, turning positive growth into stagnation.

It wasn't a recovering economy; it was a debt stimulated economy.

but again you are moving the goal posts. why are you fixating on the previous 3 months? why not go further? but that would put the figures back to a positive slant and that simply wouldn't do for someone like you with an agenda, so you ignore what is published, move the goal posts but only to the one position that suits you.

I am fixating on the previous 3 months, simply because you are fixating on one quarterly period alone.

If you wish to go back further, then please do, but these figures would be the results of Labour policies as the Con-Dems hadn't been in office long enough to have affected these figures.

I am simply pointing out that, whilst you insist that the economy has grown, you are ignoring the fact that it went down in the quarter before it.

When I was at school, minus 0.5% and plus 0.5% came to zero so, as I said, no growth.

I should also state that I am not a Labour supporter but I won't be conned by supporters of the current regime who insist on blowing their trumpet over hand picked figures whilst the economy remains in the parlous state it was in 6 months ago.

I am fixating on the previous 3 months, simply because you are fixating on one quarterly period alone.

im not fixating on anything, im commenting on the published figures, you on the other hand wish to move the goal posts to make a point and this is why i asked for your reasons for only wishing to discuss the 3 months before. is it a coincidence that for every other quarter of this government the economy grew but you only wish to compare the one quarter where the economy shrank or is there another reason why you wish to talk down the economy?

The truth is that the government has very little impact on month to month GDP figures -policies take years to show cause and effect. The present and immediate future general malaise can fairly and squarely be laid at the feet of the previous government.

Business is what makes the economy tick quickly and it is there that we can take more notice of small swings. Construction has indeed taken a battering and it is always the first to suffer on an industry wide scale during a recession or downturn. But there are clear signs that work is picking up fairly quickly as it follows the turns in fortunes of the other industries that now find themselves needing buildings and infrastructure.

Finally, some great news, the economy is stabilising.

Sorry Tony, I hate to sound negative, but no.

I'm willing to stick my neck out a bit here but the economic crisis of a few years ago never ended, it was just deferred for a few years. Within the next 12 months (and by the end of 2012 for certain), it will be back, and this time we're going to have to take our medicine whether we want to or not.

I hope I'm wrong and if I am, I'll gladly admit to it, but when you see stories like this:

World Bank president: 'One shock away from crisis'

The president of the World Bank has warned that the world is "one shock away from a full-blown crisis".

Robert Zoellick cited rising food prices as the main threat to poor nations who risk "losing a generation".

He was speaking in Washington at the end of the spring meetings of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund.

Meanwhile, G20 finance chiefs, who also met in Washington, pledged financial support to help new governments in the Middle East and North Africa.

Mr Zoellick said such support was vital.

"The crisis in the Middle East and North Africa underscores how we need to put the conclusions from our latest world development report into practice. The report highlighted the importance of citizen security, justice and jobs," he said.

He also called for the World Bank to act quickly to support reforms in the region.

"Waiting for the situation to stabilise will mean lost opportunities. In revolutionary moments the status quo is not a winning hand."

LINK

The global system is too overloaded with debt that can never be repaid.

It Is Now Mathematically Impossible To Pay Off The U.S. National Debt

The PIIG nations are mired in debt and requiring bailouts. Spain looks likely to join them.

Gold and silver are on the up as people flee increasingly debased currencies.

Throwing electronically created "funny money" at a problem caused by too much borrowing and debt isn't a solution, it's a temporary fix, much like taking pain killers to mask the pain of an tooth abscess.

If you wish to go back further, then please do, but these figures would be the results of Labour policies as the Con-Dems hadn't been in office long enough to have affected these figures.

I am simply pointing out that, whilst you insist that the economy has grown, you are ignoring the fact that it went down in the quarter before it.

When I was at school, minus 0.5% and plus 0.5% came to zero so, as I said, no growth.

I should also state that I am not a Labour supporter but I won't be conned by supporters of the current regime who insist on blowing their trumpet over hand picked figures whilst the economy remains in the parlous state it was in 6 months ago.

Actually -0.5% and +0.5% is still shrikage

£1000 - 0.5% = £995

£995 + 0.5% = £999.975

Sorry Tony, I hate to sound negative, but no.

I'm willing to stick my neck out a bit here but the economic crisis of a few years ago never ended, it was just deferred for a few years. Within the next 12 months (and by the end of 2012 for certain), it will be back, and this time we're going to have to take our medicine whether we want to or not.

I hope I'm wrong and if I am, I'll gladly admit to it, but when you see stories like this:

LINK

The global system is too overloaded with debt that can never be repaid.

It Is Now Mathematically Impossible To Pay Off The U.S. National Debt

Your links are logically impossible. If a country owes money then they must owe it to someone, so the total amount of debt must equal the total money owed to creditors. Who else can countries owe money to - aliens?

Most of the press have laid into it today and called it, "Stagnation." Despite the dip last Winter which was generally accepted as the fault of the snow, the overall trend is a downward out-of-control spiral.

Your links are logically impossible. If a country owes money then they must owe it to someone, so the total amount of debt must equal the total money owed to creditors. Who else can countries owe money to - aliens?

Probably the 'lizard people' !:hihi:

Yes the government should have definitely carried on spending huge amounts of taxpayers money on construction projects just for the sake of keeping people in work. :loopy:

Unfortunately it's policies and attitudes like that that got us into huge deficits year after year only adding to the national debt.

The governments a large employer and contractor, if it cutsback, less people in work to pay tax or spend on the ecconomy. The ecconmony needs people working, saving and spending, and less irrisponsible lending. Saving too much stagnates the circulation of money. The circulation of pretend money that didnt exist to lend to people who didnt have any real money to pay it back with got us into this mess.

Get's my back up that people blame the goverment budgets for getting us into this mess. Though I do agree that Gorden Brown fkd up when it came to using tax payers money to prop up the banks, this just went to pay share holder dividens. Instead he should have assisted the banks bad debtors in paying off shortfalls on their loans and mortgages. That way the banks would have got their money and the debts settled. Not just lining some shareholders pocket but leaving the person on the street still destitute.

Archived