Will Clegg resign if AV is rejected?

As Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg used as part of his justification for joining up with the Conservatives, the prize of electoral reform, if as seems possible, the voters vote no to the Alternative Vote system, will the only honourable course of action for Clegg, be to resign from his leadership of the party to make way for a less Conservative-friendly leader?

I appreciate that you feel anyone who doesn't think that Gordon "I've abolished boom and bust" Brown is an avatar of the Creator should be shot, but you really do need to get a grip. Its been 12 months now, its time for you to accept that while the Conservatives may not have won a resounding victory, Labour definitely lost!

If AV is rejected then it may cause a bit of a stir within the lib dems but should they walk away from the coalition then they will look like sore losers which wont do their standing any good. There may be some pressure on Clegg to resign but I can see it going anywhere and even if he was to resign his successor is likely to come from the right of the party, For better or worse they are in the coalition until the end, and so I can't see anyone from the left of the party wanting to lead the party in this situation.

On the other hand, if AV is accepted then it is likely to cause an outright rebellion in the right of the Conservative party, Cameron wasn't popular with them before the and going into coalition is viewed by them as treason.

The one definite thing that the coalition has achieved, is that it has allowed Cameron to marginalise the loony right of his party and they hate that.

Accepting AV, particularly if UKIP also do well in the local elections, is going to lead to pressure on Cameron which he may not be able to withstand. If Cameron falls then the coalition is unlikely to survive, especially if a more right wing leader is elected. If Cameron doesn't fall then the right will cripple the coalition the same way as they did to John Major's final government.

Getting some Lib-Dem policies through Parliament is the point of Nick Clegg. He's been successful, unlike every Liberal leader (bar Steel for two years) since 1923.

at the end of the day he is the tories puppet

I can't see Clegg resigning over a decision taken by the British public. He's delivered on the referendum, that is his job done. He had to keep one promise, didn't he?

If the vote is no, the Lib Dems will become a very interesting party. Thus far, many moderate Lib Dems have toed the party line, for a simple reason: PR is the ultimate prize for them as they have most to gain from it. If they can't even get AV past the electorate, I suspect that many activists will question the benefit of staying inside the coalition.

We have all seen the stress that the referendum campaign has placed upon the coalition. A no vote will increase that stress, not at Westminster, but in the grassroots of the party.

Agreed. The party leaders are going to face an uphill battle if AV is rejected.

It could be very interesting. I wonder how many Lib Dem MPs will remain loyal to their leader?

Could a Liberal Party re-emerge?

Guest sibon
Agreed. The party leaders are going to face an uphill battle if AV is rejected.

It could be very interesting. I wonder how many Lib Dem MPs will remain loyal to their leader?

Could a Liberal Party re-emerge?

It could indeed. I have my fingers firmly crossed that one will.

The current state of UK politics is very unhealthy. There is little substantive difference between the Labour Party and the Tories. A distinctive, proper Liberal Party could be a breath of fresh air and very popular.

It could indeed. I have my fingers firmly crossed that one will.

The current state of UK politics is very unhealthy. There is little substantive difference between the Labour Party and the Tories. A distinctive, proper Liberal Party could be a breath of fresh air and very popular.

a proper liberal party wouldn't be much different to the bit of the lib dems which clegg hangs out in. let's not forget that the original labour party came about because the liberal party didn't represent the working class man much better than the conservative party did.

a "what used to be the sdp" centre leftish and without the neolib/con rubbish party would be far more use. i had some hope that miliband would drift labour in that direction but there doesn't seem to be much sign of that at the minute.

I appreciate that you feel anyone who doesn't think that Gordon "I've abolished boom and bust" Brown is an avatar of the Creator should be shot, but you really do need to get a grip. Its been 12 months now, its time for you to accept that while the Conservatives may not have won a resounding victory, Labour definitely lost!

If AV is rejected then it may cause a bit of a stir within the lib dems but should they walk away from the coalition then they will look like sore losers which wont do their standing any good. There may be some pressure on Clegg to resign but I can see it going anywhere and even if he was to resign his successor is likely to come from the right of the party, For better or worse they are in the coalition until the end, and so I can't see anyone from the left of the party wanting to lead the party in this situation.

On the other hand, if AV is accepted then it is likely to cause an outright rebellion in the right of the Conservative party, Cameron wasn't popular with them before the and going into coalition is viewed by them as treason.

The one definite thing that the coalition has achieved, is that it has allowed Cameron to marginalise the loony right of his party and they hate that.

Accepting AV, particularly if UKIP also do well in the local elections, is going to lead to pressure on Cameron which he may not be able to withstand. If Cameron falls then the coalition is unlikely to survive, especially if a more right wing leader is elected. If Cameron doesn't fall then the right will cripple the coalition the same way as they did to John Major's final government.

Yep, nobody won the election. Whichever way the AV vote goes it could be difficuilt for Clegg. If the No's win then he will come under pressure from what's left of his party about what the point of continuing with the Cons is.

Also if the No's win Cameron could decide to ditch the coalition and go for an election to try to secure a Tory majority in it's own right.

If the Yes's win then his partys' participation in the coaltion could be said to have finally yielded something tangible and will give the Libs hope that they will finally break the mould of two party politics in this country, if enough voters ever forgive them for jumping into bed with the Cons.

How does forcing the Tories to water down their policies, make you their puppet? :huh:

I hate to have to aggree with you but I still think Clegg is a maverick, although not a very smart one. I reckon the next general election will see the demise of Clegg and his party.

Archived