Will Clegg resign if AV is rejected?

As opposed to being Labour's puppet had he joined in a coalition with them?

At the end of the day whichever party the Liberals joined with they would have been the junior partner because they got far fewer seats.

They could of course have gone it alone and left the Conservatives to struggle on with no overall majority, but surely after the financial mess Brown has left us with we need strong Government to sort that mess out.

I don't think a coalition is an ideal option, but under the current financial circumstances I consider it to be the best option available.

Maybe it would have been better had the Liberals sided with Labour, at least then Labour could be left to sort their own mess out!!

Regards

Doom

I have lived under two coalition governments in Ireland. The truth is, the junior partner has a hugely disproportionate amount of iunfluence, because the major party (unless there is another party prepared to form a coalition) depends on them as the only chance of remaining in government.

The truth is Clegg has gone along with a radical right wing agaenda for reasons other than he is stating. Either he is so excited about being in power that he doesn't mind selling his voters short, or the Tory agenda is not as ideologically unpalatable to him as he was pretending before the election.

this might be the tories wet dream material but it is no more than that. the sane challenger's for the leadership are all embedded in the coalition so replacing clegg won't achieve anything. anyone from outside this inner circle won't dare challenge as they know they will be leading the party into a wipeout and from their point of view it would be better to take the leadership after rather than before defeat.

the lib dems only chance of survival is to see the parliament through to the end and hope for the best. an alternative scenario is for the party to split, the left of the party reforms the sdp and clegg leads the remnant of the party into oblivion at the next election. either way the coalition survives!

if cameron was to call a snap election, i really don't think that he would do much better than he did last year, and would probably do worse. the only hope for a conservative majority government is for them to see the parliament through to the end in the hope of enough of a recovery to bolster support in the floating voter.

I disagree about the likely result of a snap election. I don't think that Labour has done enough to take votes off the Tories and the Tories would benefit from a Lib Dem collapse just as much as Labour, which would in turn lead to the Tories having enough seats to form a government on their own.

If the Lib Dems can take on the Tories in a public fight over NHS reform or the like and win then they could possibly stop the rot. If they just keep clinging on waiting for the inevitable then the Lib Dem's future will be very bleak.

I disagree about the likely result of a snap election. I don't think that Labour has done enough to take votes off the Tories and the Tories would benefit from a Lib Dem collapse just as much as Labour, which would in turn lead to the Tories having enough seats to form a government on their own.

If the Lib Dems can take on the Tories in a public fight over NHS reform or the like and win then they could possibly stop the rot. If they just keep clinging on waiting for the inevitable then the Lib Dem's future will be very bleak.

If the Lib Dems were not in coalition the reforms to the NHs would be much worse that they will be as a result of the Lib Dems having some input.

I think you are supposed to wear these.

Ah I see, you need to wear red specs for it to make sense. That explains the lunacy. So do you think Ed Milliband will resign when the electorate reject AV as he seems to be its current figurehead?

It wont be rejected. Good sources tell me its a resounding `Yes` to push it through. (Roughly 82.5% are in favour of AV)

I had thought it was much closer than that.Not sure how you can arrive at that figure.82.5% is quite specific.

As Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg used as part of his justification for joining up with the Conservatives, the prize of electoral reform, if as seems possible, the voters vote no to the Alternative Vote system, will the only honourable course of action for Clegg, be to resign from his leadership of the party to make way for a less Conservative-friendly leader?

mr clegg will hopefully resign. it's been twelve painful months watching "our mate nick" courting with his buddy mr cameron. i don't know anyone who voted lib dem that will vote for them again with clegg in charge.

Archived