Pubs what's happening to them.

For me its the quality of the beer and availability of real ale. If its the usual mass produced rubbish on offer I go elsewhere, as I'm not paying £2.40 and upwards for Carling, Carlsberg or Guinness. I'd much rather pay the same or more to a local real ale brewer.

My slant on it is its Thatchers fault, it was here who brought the monopolies and mergers law in that's when it all started going down hill for the brewery industry when we run our pub it had just come into force and I think we probably had the last few years of good times in the trade circa 1990 times.

We went to 3 local pubs last Saturday the first 2 had about 6 people in (and in the second one 4 lads left when they finished their game of pool leaving us and 2 of the landlady's pals in).

The 3rd pub was heaving with about...ooooh 15 people in.

Pubs are boring now and I do think it started with the smoking ban. Many smokers kept going in at first but when the cold weather came they decided to stay at home and drink instead of freezing on a pub doorstep. Can't blame them really and I don't think it's a case of 'can't manage without a cigarette for 4 hours' more 'why should I pay over the odds for a drink and having to keep going outside for a cigarette?'.

Nah, it's defo the smoking ban.

Best thing the previous Government ever did that IMO.. I already have a bad cough, I don't want it made worse by passive smoking all twice a week I go to the Pub.

There's too many pubs being run on a shoestring. They can't afford to get a decent selection of drinks in, they can't see that finding the money for some decent entertainment would pull punters in, as everything on TV is garbage at the moment, so pubs with good entertainment would help entice people out. Other pubs need to do more drinks offers, like Wetherspoons offer, so they can compete, and move with the times.

We went to 3 local pubs last Saturday the first 2 had about 6 people in (and in the second one 4 lads left when they finished their game of pool leaving us and 2 of the landlady's pals in).

The 3rd pub was heaving with about...ooooh 15 people in.

Pubs are boring now and I do think it started with the smoking ban. Many smokers kept going in at first but when the cold weather came they decided to stay at home and drink instead of freezing on a pub doorstep. Can't blame them really and I don't think it's a case of 'can't manage without a cigarette for 4 hours' more 'why should I pay over the odds for a drink and having to keep going outside for a cigarette?'.

Like I said I'm a non smoker and I hate the stinking habit and I've never smoked, but I think it was a silly law to ban smoking in pubs I don't think that's the reason though but it certainly hasn't help t.

Another major problem is the Breweries, I've seen it happen that a Pub gets a good reputation under a certain Landlord/Landlady, and has a regular clientele who go in most nights and everyone knows them etc, then the Brewery hikes the rent on the Pub, and the Pub changes hands because the regular Management can't afford the rent without doubling his prices or worse, which alienates his punters!

Its a combination of all these factors: breweries losing money and capitalising on properties, smoking ban and inflation.

Still the best pubs, value pubs and real ale places seem to be thriving..sheaf view etc. I guess its a case of rolling with the times and providing something that people actually want.

Archived