Pubs what's happening to them.

The pubcos you mention are more or less just property companies now, they couldn't care less about the actual business of running a pub. They need to service their massive debts so hike prices of both beer and rents. When the pub fails they then happily put the building on the market, whilst slapping on a restrictive covenant to prevent anyone else taking it over as a pub and doing a better job.

Now look at the owners of The Blake/Sheaf View, the Fat Cat, The Kelham Island, The Cask and Wellie. The owners run the business. It's their bread and butter, if the pub fails they fail. Unlike Punch/Enterprise etc they have a personal stake in the business.

Surprise, surprise these pubs are doing well. Their prices are reasonable and drinks varied and good. They care about their pubs, they don't just see them as property stock to be sold to the highest bidder.

There is a little pub on a back lane in Totley. It would be full to capacity with 40 people inside. The pub has closed and re-opened about 4 times in the last 3 years. I got chatting to one of the landlords whilst he was in charge and was shocked to hear he was paying the pubco £1000/week in rent on the place. On top of that he was required to buy his beer through them at a rate that was 20p/pint more than he could buy the same beer wholesale. He also had to pay heating, repairs, lighting, staff etc. He lasted about 3 months.

What chance does a pub have of operating with those overheads?

The pubcos you mention are more or less just property companies now, they couldn't care less about the actual business of running a pub. They need to service their massive debts so hike prices of both beer and rents. When the pub fails they then happily put the building on the market, whilst slapping on a restrictive covenant to prevent anyone else taking it over as a pub and doing a better job.

Now look at the owners of The Blake/Sheaf View, the Fat Cat, The Kelham Island, The Cask and Wellie. The owners run the business. It's their bread and butter, if the pub fails they fail. Unlike Punch/Enterprise etc they have a personal stake in the business.

Surprise, surprise these pubs are doing well. Their prices are reasonable and drinks varied and good. They care about their pubs, they don't just see them as property stock to be sold to the highest bidder.

I can tell you some storeys about crazy brewery's OK,the one that sticks out is a pub we took in Telford when we first moved in it was taking less than £500 a week,after I had been in a few weeks of hard work cleaning the place up and sorting the beer and cellar out the takings started to go up dramatically as more people started coming in ,the takings went up to above £9000 a week,one night the area manager snook in and stood at the bar I didn't recognise him at first,he said to me you are doing well here but can you tell me why your GP has gone down? ive no idea I told him, basically the beer was so bad in the past before we took over that people were drinking top shelf more and the GP is a lot higher on spirits than beer,what a thing to say after all the hard work we put into the pub.

Bring back smoking in pubs and that`ll bring the real, proper punters back. Not these prats who mince around with a single J2Os for 3 hours.

Smokers, (real people with interesting stories to tell) get through 15-20 pints a night. Do the math.

Bring back smoking in pubs and that`ll bring the real, proper punters back. Not these prats who mince around with a single J2Os for 3 hours.

Smokers, (real people with interesting stories to tell) get through 15-20 pints a night. Do the math.

As above, they probably make more money in the pub on one j20 than on a pint of beer.

Smokers (dirty addicts, with a bad smell and a bad attitude). Who'd want them in their pub...

You might be right about how much they drink though, they must be easily addicted to things, nicotine, alcohol, crack, who knows.

I occasionally go to the Vic at Beeston, and it is always busy: a huge choice of really good beers, superb food that they prepare, not from a packet, friendly staff, no television, no music, no phones allowed!, only well-behaved children.... they even had a travelling play there last evening...

Not in any of the pubs I've been in for the last 30 odd years.

The only people I've come across who drank anywhere near that amount of alcohol a night are dead.

I've done the math... Someone drinking 20 pints a night would be spending around £400 week on beer and thet wouldn't have anything interesting to say. They would just imagine that they did, until they died aged 26.

How do such people afford to smoke as well?

I've done the math... Someone drinking 20 pints a night would be spending around £400 week on beer and thet wouldn't have anything interesting to say. They would just imagine that they did, until they died aged 26.

How do such people afford to smoke as well?

Its true a lot of blokes in the past did drink a lot,the steel workers were well known for heavy drinking. say five or six pints in the afternoon and ten pints at night wasn't unusual back in them days, you only had to look in the pubs around Grimesthorpe they were all pack at dinner times and night time and they weren't just standing around drinking j2os I'm sure .

Its true a lot of blokes in the past did drink a lot,the steel workers were well known for heavy drinking. say five or six pints in the afternoon and ten pints at night wasn't unusual back in them days, you only had to look in the pubs around Grimesthorpe they were all pack at dinner times and night time and they weren't just standing around drinking j2os I'm sure .

I remember those days - however most blokes worked shifts and could probably only drink like that one week in three.

Archived