What makes a person 'upperclass', 'middleclass', 'working class'..

I know my place!

My grandfather born in 1900 was a dry stone grinder as was his father etc. so, to all intents he was of the working classes.

When it came to voting he always voted Conservative. He wasn't a pretentious man, on the contrary, just believed in the Conservatives' politics, he didn't see it as a class thing as he didn't see himself as being of a particular class.

It's nothing to do with what job you do, or if you have money or not. It's the way you were taught your manners. What's ok for some but not for others. Supermarkets, restaurants, public places, there are people that let their kids do what they want, then there is the ones that behave perfectly in all public places.

so manners come into determining what class you belong to? hadn't thought of that. in the example you give I'm guessing the former would be, what, 'lower class' and the later 'upper class'? where do the middle classes and working classes lay in the continuum?

This always reminds me of TW3 sketch with John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett. I look down on him because I am upper class (Cleese), I look down on him because I am middle class (Barker) I know my place (Corbett):hihi::hihi:

Social class used to be simple to understand, with Upper, Middle and Working classes all easily identified. Denlin's example did seem to be the way it was. But, since WWII so much has changed within our social structure that these divisions have been reclassified, once about 50 years ago, and again more recently. The welfare state, increases in home ownership, the increase in further and higher education, and the demise of lots of blue collar jobs has changed the class structure in the UK.

Class is not just about money or occupation, its about beliefs and behaviours, lifestyle choices, and the way we speak and dress. That isn't a comprehensive list either!

If anyone is really interested, there's quite a bit of info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_structure_of_the_United_Kingdom

The class system is one of the reasons we came to Canada. I hated going on trains in the old days where someone posh won't speak to you and how my dad doffed his hat to the upper classes... respect is one thing but he had no need to humble himself he was a very good man ....It's not the same here. Local folks think I'm well off cus I'm a known painter but I'm not, ie I buy all my clothes at the Sally Ann

plus the vast numbers of strikes... numerous dock strike which Killed our European Removals TIR moving business

Personally I hate this obsession with class, anyone who is under the ridiculous illusion that they are better than other people deserve a slap in my opinion.

I have noticed over the years the people who obsess this bygone form of cheating their way through life often have deep seated inadequacy issues.

Archived