What makes a person 'upperclass', 'middleclass', 'working class'..

The class system is one of the reasons we came to Canada. I hated going on trains in the old days where someone posh won't speak to you and how my dad doffed his hat to the upper classes... respect is one thing but he had no need to humble himself he was a very good man ....It's not the same here. Local folks think I'm well off cus I'm a known painter but I'm not, ie I buy all my clothes at the Sally Ann

plus the vast numbers of strikes... numerous dock strike which Killed our European Removals TIR moving business

Does Canada not have a class system at all then?? hmmmm.

I just dont get it. There will always be one everywhere.

I dont humble myself to the upper classes nor would I ever act particuarly militant against them. That almost jelous attitude against anyone with money seems so prevelant at the moment. People seem to think they have a right to be equal to everyone else.

The world cant ever be like that and more importantly why the should it. You make your own life and you put yourself into whatever "class" system fits. Anyone can come from a poor background and become a millionaire. You just have to work for it.

After all, for every doctor there has to be a nurse, a porter and a cleaner.

For every city executive there has to be staff, a secretary, a clerk and postroom boy/girl. We can't all be on six figure salaries.

Personally I hate this obsession with class, anyone who is under the ridiculous illusion that they are better than other people deserve a slap in my opinion.

I have noticed over the years the people who obsess this bygone form of cheating their way through life often have deep seated inadequacy issues.

What, so you think everyone in the world needs a good kicking?

Personally, I don't think there's a middle class, people either have to work or they don't.

I know my place!

My grandfather born in 1900 was a dry stone grinder as was his father etc. so, to all intents he was of the working classes.

When it came to voting he always voted Conservative. He wasn't a pretentious man, on the contrary, just believed in the Conservatives' politics, he didn't see it as a class thing as he didn't see himself as being of a particular class.

That's known as the deference vote.

why does it seem to be the prevailing paradox that people say 'class is dead', yet almost every sphere of discussion, eg on here is permeated with the same class assumptions (guardian reader, muesli eater, chav, toff etc) that are said to be dead and gone?

I kind of get 'upperclass' - born into it - family money, family estate, haven't got a clue about the real world.

Middleclass - load of crap

Working class - apparently the lowest - however aside from the 'born into money' we all work, right?

I kind of get 'upperclass' - born into it - family money, family estate, haven't got a clue about the real world.

Middleclass - load of crap

Working class - apparently the lowest - however aside from the 'born into money' we all work, right?

so a family could go from working class to upper class in a generation? footballers, rock-stars etc and their kids?

Archived