What makes a person 'upperclass', 'middleclass', 'working class'..

What, so you think everyone in the world needs a good kicking?

Personally, I don't think there's a middle class, people either have to work or they don't.

I don't think everyone in the world is an odious little snob, the kind of person I had in mind with my original comment is the kind of person who would use 'class' to hide their own lack of ability. All too often the people who obsess about class are people who tend to boast a status in life and tend not to have earned their position on a level playing field, in short they just don't measure up and they know it that is the reason for their bigoted attitude towards other more worthy people.

• 2 weeks later...
I honestly didn't realise the class system still existed in England.. I thought the Beatles Generation got rid of it. (we left in 1972) NorthernStar I agree with you...

I find it archaic.

Archaic yes but still present!

The world cant ever be like that and more importantly why the should it. You make your own life and you put yourself into whatever "class" system fits. Anyone can come from a poor background and become a millionaire. You just have to work for it.

After all, for every doctor there has to be a nurse, a porter and a cleaner.

For every city executive there has to be staff, a secretary, a clerk and postroom boy/girl. We can't all be on six figure salaries.

Are you saying the doctor is more important than the nurse or the porter or the cleaner? And why should anyone have a six figure salary and someone else be below minimum wage. There is an in between ground where everybody gets a fair and decent wage:D

Archived