I'm ashamed to admit it but..

Why...why do people say this phrase about something they once (or probably do) still like?

I hear it on TV quite a lot, a woman on a quiz show the other day said "Well, i'm ashamed to say i was a massive fan of the Bay City Rollers".

Another young woman i heard saying "I'm ashamed to say that i've seen Take That live 3 times!"

Eh??? Is there some rule that you have to be ashamed of something you like just in case it doesn't fit in with other peoples views on music, or any other subject, if you like something just bloody well say so...and don't be ashamed!

What about "To tell you the truth...." or "to be honest....."

it's as if the rest of the time they are telling a pack of lies!

Haha...yeah, i like that :hihi:

Or...on game show when they go for the big prize but could lose what they've already won...are you prepared to gamble what you've already won?

and what do they say..."Well, we came with nothing..."

Arrgghhh....Yes, but you've got 3 grand now you numpty!!! :hihi:

Why...why do people say this phrase about something they once (or probably do) still like?

I hear it on TV quite a lot, a woman on a quiz show the other day said "Well, i'm ashamed to say i was a massive fan of the Bay City Rollers".

Another young woman i heard saying "I'm ashamed to say that i've seen Take That live 3 times!"

Eh??? Is there some rule that you have to be ashamed of something you like just in case it doesn't fit in with other peoples views on music, or any other subject, if you like something just bloody well say so...and don't be ashamed!

They usually say it in relation to something they liked in their past that they later realised was pretty naff or tasteless.

Like the BCRs! :hihi:

Archived