Advice on selling a car privately

Can anyone tell me the best place to sell a car privately, and what I need to do, regards payment etc, do I accept a cheque and obviously wait for it to clear, or what about accepting cash, with so many fake notes about these days, and what would I give the buyer in the meantime to prove I will sell them the car, thankyou very grateful for any help.

Ebay is the best place to advertise now, use a classified advert rather than auction. Take good photos and make the description comprehensive and honest. Give it a very good clean or get it valeted (i always do the latter £25 well spent). Any little niggles it has than can be fixed easily do so as it will improve the price.

The safest way to be paid is bank transfer but most people won't do this as it's too risky for them as you get the money and they get nothing. The safest way for everyone is cash in bank opening hours so they give it to you at the bank who confirm it's all real and then they walk away with the car.

Ebay is the best place to advertise now, use a classified advert rather than auction. Take good photos and make the description comprehensive and honest. Give it a very good clean or get it valeted (i always do the latter £25 well spent). Any little niggles it has than can be fixed easily do so as it will improve the price.

The safest way to be paid is bank transfer but most people won't do this as it's too risky for them as you get the money and they get nothing. The safest way for everyone is cash in bank opening hours so they give it to you at the bank who confirm it's all real and then they walk away with the car.

Thankyou very much

If you've never sold a sold before and never used Ebay I wouldn't recommend using it. It can cause lots of problems especially if the buyer has any disputes or concerns with mis-description etc..

Firstly if you still use the car put a advert in the window, make sure you keep the car clean though, demonstrates that you look after it.

Secondly put an advert on here and any other free sites you can think of.

Get all the documents together and make sure everything is in order.

If you want it sold quickly price it a little lower than similar cars on Autotrader. Make sure the cars you are comparing it to are also being privately sold.

Just out of interest what is the car? Age, mileage etc..

Archived