Convenience Store Has Minimum Amount For Card Transaction

Lucky you!

What do you do if you've spent the few pounds and there is no ATM to enable you to get a few more? - Or if the ATM is operated by somebody other then the bank you have your account with and they want to charge you to draw money out?

One of the banks I use (one of the few Federal [as in trades Nationwide] banks in the US) doesn't have any branches and it doesn't have any ATMs, either. They've realised that it's cheaper to let somebody else pay for and run the ATMs. If I use their card in another bank's ATM, I get charged (usually about $3) per transaction. The bank refunds those charges each month.

I don't see why banks have to charge traders high fees when the traders' customers use the bank's debit card. The last time I ran a business in the UK, the bank charged me about 35p for every cheque I deposited. - That adds up. The bank argued that they had to process the cheques and so I had to pay.

Electrons work very efficiently and they don't get paid much. If you do a transaction with a debit card, how much does it really cost? The bank doesn't have to process a cheque, money doesn't have to move around physically and - apart from card fraud - there is little risk. I would've thought it was very much in the interest of the bank to have everybody using electronic fund transfer. That doesn't stop many of them from ripping off the customers.

I lived in Belgium for a couple of years. I lived in a place where there were lots of people of at least 29 different nationalities. Most of us banked with Fortis Banque (a Belgian bank.) I had an account with them. I could pay in (and hold) money in any one of a number of different currencies. I could transfer it from one currency to another (at no charge.) I could only withdraw cash in Euros - but then again, I could only spend Euros locally. I could wire it to any other bank anywhere in the world in any currency.

If the Belgians can do that, why can't the Brits (or other nations' banks)?

Up to (about) 2004, my British bank cards had a 'Eurocheque' symbol on them. They could be used at any bank in Europe. Then it disappeared. I asked the bank "Why?" and was told. "Oh, we don't offer that service anymore."

If you go on holiday in Europe this year, you may find ATMS which will accept your British bank cards - and then again, you will find more than a few which do not.

"Mastercard and Visa are acceptable worldwide". Yeah, right! Apart from where they are not accepted. Where they are accepted, it will probably be 'At a price'. Don't be surprised if you get a lousy exchange rate, have to pay a fee per use for the ATM and a charge of up to 2% of the value of the transaction as a 'user fee.'

With your mountain of cash I thought you would be buying Green and Blacks or some fantastic swiss chocs !

I have never been one for getting sucked in by expensive brands. Cars are probably my only exception to this rule but you do get what you pay for with the top manufacturers.

While out and about today I called into a convenience store for a few bits to snack on. I took them to the counter and produced my card to insert into the chip and pin machine.

S/K (shop keeper): “ Sorry Master, it come to £3.31. Can only use card for £3.50 or more. You got cash my man?”

MOS (me): “I don’t carry trash, look at my cart parked out there, I daren’t risk it with the attention I get. Do you know who I am.I am one of the wiggest bankers in Dore?”

S/K: “Not unless you are Oscar Wilde's half brother but I know you av’ to buy something’ else worth at least 19p if you wanna use that platinum card.”

MOS: “I am already paying over the odds for this out of date trifle and I haven’t even begun to banter with you yet!”

S/K: “ You got cash?”

MOS: “NO!”

The shop keeper then picked two 10p dollies out of a tub and plonked them in front of me. I didn’t want the dollies but it was the only way I could use my card to buy the goods. I will never use that shop again after he stole from me for being 19p short of his “made up” card limit.

The dollies are in my kitchen cupboard and will remain there uneaten as a protest to this form of daylight robbery.Welllets all tremble

This would not happen in Netto or Aldi

No way, that is outrageous!:o

These shop keepers know that people don't feel at ease carrying cash around with them, so take advantage of someone wanting to pay for a box of Ferro Roche on their card for example.

It really makes my blood boil! :mad:

In no way is that outrageous.Carrying cash is so dodgy in crime stricken Dore

While out and about today I called into a convenience store for a few bits to snack on. I took them to the counter and produced my card to insert into the chip and pin machine.

S/K (shop keeper): “ Sorry boss, it come to £3.31. Can only use card for £3.50 or more. You got cash my man?”

MOS (me): “I don’t carry cash, look at my car parked out there, I daren’t risk it with the attention I get. Do you know who I am?”

S/K: “No bro’ but I know you av’ to buy something’ else worth at least 19p if you wanna use that platinum card.”

MOS: “I am already paying over the odds for this out of date tripe and I haven’t even begun to barter with you yet!”

S/K: “ You got cash?”

MOS: “NO!”

The shop keeper then picked two 10p lollies out of a tub and plonked them in front of me. I didn’t want the lollies but it was the only way I could use my card to buy the goods. I will never use that shop again after he stole from me for being 19p short of his “made up” card limit.

The lollies are in my kitchen cupboard and will remain there uneaten as a protest to this form of daylight robbery.

This would not happen in Waitrose. :mad:

You drove yourself, and even then entered the shop yourself? How very nouveau riche, no class.

Archived