Engine lights on vauxhall zafira

it drinks alot of petrol and i can smell petrol quite often wen im driving it.iv had it on 2 diagnostic machines and is fetchin no codes up.

Did you have it checked on an advanced machine or just a simple EOBD code reader? EOBD readers are cheap and useful on many occasions, but will only read basic emissions-related codes.

If you are still having problems you can call down to us and we'll check it out, we've just invested in some new diagnostic equipment that has Vauxhall-specific software amongst many others. Diagnostics scans now at £15.00 .

cheaper to phone rac or aa tell them lights come on they will come out hook it up to there reader and tell you the likely problem saves paying to have a diagnostic done

RAC and AA only have the OBD software on their laptops, I know a guy who has worked for both.

If the MAF has failed the ECU will over fuel to accommodate for the false air readings, you can clean it with a solvent spray, nothing oily like WD40 though! Cleaning is only a quick fix, it will still need changing. I think mine cost about £90.

Hi,

Is it an old or new shape Zafira? If the latter then you can perform a "pedal test", this will then display any stored fault codes on the the millage display...

Press brake and accelerator pedals

Turn ignition key to the 2nd position so that all the dash lights come on

Any faults will be shown as ECN XXXXXX with the numbers being the code.

If there are any list them here, i'm a member of a Vauxhall forum and can look them up against the info there.

wot year does it have 2 be.mines an x reg 2001

Yours is a Zafira A (old shape), the pedal test can still be done but the codes have to be read by counting the number of times the engine managment light flashes - below is a copy / paste of how its done..

With keys out of ignition - press both brake & accelerator pedal at same time and keep them pressed to the floor....

insert key and turn to 2nd click - ignition on but DONT START THE ENGINE

Keep both pedals pressed throughout the procedure....

the EML will flash just like previous models

You will probably find the light flashes 10 times first then a pause then another number, a pause, another number, a pause then another number of flashes.

I say 10 times for the first one as 10 flashes = a ZERO on the fault code and most engine related faults range from P0001 to P0999

If for instance u have the following sequence

10 flashes

pause

3 flashes

pause

10 flashes

pause

10 flashes

this equals 10,3,10,10 which in turn equates to 0,3,0,0 or P0300 which in turn is "Multiple cylinder misfire"

10 is the only number that becomes another number

1-9 flashes remain a 1-9 code if that makes any sense

its just the light is not stayin on all the time only wen i get over 60mph.then wen i turn car off and on again it goes off

Shouldn't matter, When the car enters "limp mode" and illuminates the engine management light the fault codes that caused it should be stored on the ECU, these can be read using either a diagnostic scanner or the pedal test - I'm not 100% sure that pedal test works on all the old shape models or just certain engines.

Give the above a go and see what happens, fingers crossed yours is compatible and the codes will give some indication on what's up.

Archived