Engine lights on vauxhall zafira

hi just done that.it worked out i got 0607 if this helps.thanks

P0607 comes back with two possibilities, either the "Knock Sensor" or an ECU fault - at this point probably best to get in touch with a garage, the sensor shouldn't be too costly but no idea on what's involved in checking / changing and as for the ECU i'd imagine that would be somewhat more expensive to replace.

**Edit**

Just done some more digging and it seems it might simply be low on oil - looks like this fools the knock sensor into thinking the engine is "pinking" at higher speeds, tries to correct it but cant so then thinks the ECU is iffy and then goes into limp mode, might be worth checking the oil level just in case.

thanks.the code i found was control module performance.which is a likely cause pcm wil need replacement by sum1 who can install codes 2 my vehicle identification number.

As mentioned above it might just be low on oil, wouldnt take long to check and could save a heap of money - heres the info i found anyway that explains it in more details...

I've had games with P0607; "engine control module - performance error." It apparently comes up when the knock sensor is driven batty by noises from a low oil level. This causes the sensor to individually retard each cylinder and if it can't stop the knocking, it thinks the ECU's getting the timing wrong and posts P0607.

Have a look at each cylinder's timing retardation figures as you drive it. You'll likely see massive, oscillating retardations; jumping from 5-48 degrees or more. Even if the oil is topped-up, it takes a good week's running to settle down again.

Would agree this is a known Vauxhall fault. Low engine oil level causes slight piston slap around 70mph, the knock sensor thinks its pinking & retards the timing - down to 50mph - discerning on the motorway!! PO607 is always the code. Once the oil is topped up the fault will eventually go away. Although I have not had this fault on an Astra, have seen it several times on 01,02,03 plate 1.6 Zafiras.

i wil check the oil level but i normally have an oil light come on wen its low.and 2 ur information above mine is just x reg not 01 plate.but i will def try it 1st.the info i found was this

The P0607 code will illuminate the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp). Other potential symptoms of a P0607 include:

vehicle may also go into "limp-home" mode where it runs under reduced power

No Start condition (cranks but does not start)

may stop running while driving

Causes

A P0607 could be caused by one or more of the following:

Loose ground terminal on PCM/ECM

Dead or defective (12V main) battery

An open or short in the power or ground circuit

Loose or corroded battery terminals

Failed PCM/ECM

Possible Solutions

As a vehicle owner there isn't a whole lot you can do yourself to diagnose this DTC. The first thing to check is the battery, check the voltage, inspect for loose/corroded terminals, etc., do a load test on it too. Also inspect the grounds/wiring at the PCM. If that's good the other common fixes for a P0607 Control Module Performance DTC seem to be either replace the PCM or update (re-flash) the PCM with updated software. Be sure to check for TSB's on your vehicle (Technical Service Bulletins) as there are known TSB's for this P0607 code for some Toyota and Ford vehicles.

If the PCM needs replacement, we strongly recommend you have a qualified repair shop / technician do the work, one that has the capability to reprogram the new PCM. Installing the new PCM may involve using special tools to program the vehicle's VIN (vehicle identification number) and/or anti-theft information (PATS, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...
i wil check the oil level but i normally have an oil light come on wen its low.and 2 ur information above mine is just x reg not 01 plate.but i will def try it 1st.the info i found was this

The P0607 code will illuminate the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp). Other potential symptoms of a P0607 include:

vehicle may also go into "limp-home" mode where it runs under reduced power

No Start condition (cranks but does not start)

may stop running while driving

Causes

A P0607 could be caused by one or more of the following:

Loose ground terminal on PCM/ECM

Dead or defective (12V main) battery

An open or short in the power or ground circuit

Loose or corroded battery terminals

Failed PCM/ECM

Possible Solutions

As a vehicle owner there isn't a whole lot you can do yourself to diagnose this DTC. The first thing to check is the battery, check the voltage, inspect for loose/corroded terminals, etc., do a load test on it too. Also inspect the grounds/wiring at the PCM. If that's good the other common fixes for a P0607 Control Module Performance DTC seem to be either replace the PCM or update (re-flash) the PCM with updated software. Be sure to check for TSB's on your vehicle (Technical Service Bulletins) as there are known TSB's for this P0607 code for some Toyota and Ford vehicles.

If the PCM needs replacement, we strongly recommend you have a qualified repair shop / technician do the work, one that has the capability to reprogram the new PCM. Installing the new PCM may involve using special tools to program the vehicle's VIN (vehicle identification number) and/or anti-theft information (PATS, etc.).

Never never never let the oil get so low that you get the warning light. I did that on my Zaf when I first got it not realising how quickly it drank oil. Ended up having the engine rebuilt because valves and control rings were ruined. Nice spend of a thousand coins that was!

Archived