Canton Orchard

Ying

we went last night, food was not to the usuall standard, but it looked like there were a few issues in the kitchen. We had to send away two lots of food we did not order, and my main course looked like it had be whacked together sharpish and cooked very if not too fast. We had the usuall banter with the manager, who I allways find a pleasure to talk to.

I did notice they seem to have simplified the menu, there was lots of the really good dishes missing from it last night.

I would not go near this place. We have been many times and it started out as an excellent place, but each time we visited standards slipped.

I am a little afraid of posting for fear of reprisals.

We went for a large group meal and had to have a set menu. It wasn't cheap. There wasn't enough food for the people there, the veggies were starving. We had deep fried starters, some vile mush instead of mock duck and then some stir fried monstrosity. The meat eaters didn't fare much better. The duck was dried out, a shrivelled mess. The main courses weren't enough to feed half the group.

At each stage we made our complaints known. When we tried to make a complaint at the end the manager on the night was very aggressive; but hadn't given us a choice to order from the menu.

This was really shocking and I was very surprsised.

Oh and the toilets smell of damp, they don't flush properly and they never ever have sufficient loo roll.

Stay away.

to continue . . .

We were placed at our table. The manager and a waitress then spent ten minutes directly behind us talking loudly about what another table had ordered and then went on to the staff rota.

Half-way through the meal, and this is where Basil Faulty came into his own, a group of old customers from London walked past the large window. Cue basil, running to the window, banging on it, and shouting "Hello! Hello!" and so on through the window at the top of his voice.

And the food was bog standard Chinese crap. In other words, Chinese food that no Chinese person would eat.

And the food was bog standard Chinese crap. In other words, Chinese food that no Chinese person would eat.

I know what you're saying but it must be remembered that there is also Chinese food that no non-Chinese person could eat...

It is a pity that the Canton Orchard appears to be having difficulties; despite the plain food, I have enjoyed the place on may occasions in the past and enjoyed the banter with the (admittedly quite eccentric) manager. I hope that it returns to form soon - old school chinglish food!

We had a dreadful meal there at least five years ago, utterly appalling from the decor to the food and everything else inbetween. I've always thought it odd that people said such good things about it, it had no redeeming features at all.

Been twice, maybe thrice and have never been impressed.

The food seems to be dry, the service incredibly poor (and they don't like receiving complaints) and the organisation lacking.

Save your money and visit a buffet instead. I promise you won't be as disappointed.*

I'm surprised the Canton Orchard has lasted as long as it has.

* Better still, Won Ting in town is always full of chinese folk. Superb place. And the staff and management don't have chips on their shoulders like they do at Zing Vaa.

• 7 months later...

I have just been back to the Canton Orchard for the first time in several months and expected to have the usual pleasant time with slightly disappointing food. I was wrong - we had a pleasant time but with great food! I think that the kitchen has had some changes. The starters were good, with squid cooked to soft perfection for once. The mains were just delicious - very tender beef in black bean sauce, fiery pork with chillis and, best of all, duck with crispy skin, melting fat and juicy meat. The best chinese food I have had since I was last in HK.

The interior looks to have been spruced up and the manager (although occasionally Fawltyesque) was a perfect host. I would suggest a re-visit for those who have been disappointed in the past.

Been a couple of times nothing special considering how much they charge, for me from now on it will be the Dim Sum on London Road, absolutely first class, puts all other chinese/ cantonese places to shame.

Archived