Housing crisis in the USA?

A further comment.

The great majority of Americans own their homes whereas in Britain the majority still live in government or council housing or rent their flats and homes from private landlords

Aren't most homes in England attatched to one another , it's like buying a house and having to share it with someone else, you don't see much of that in the US,if so it's usually one owner for the whole building.

I do, I've been about 6 times, the desert is awesome.

I like the desert also and Arizona and New Mexico are indeed awesome. We've stayed once or twice with friends in Phoenix but the 115 degree temperatures every day in summer kind of limit outdoor activity. When you leave the air conditioned house you have to jump into the air conditioned car and go to the air conditioned mall. You cant get away from the oppresive heat.

Southern California gets hot also in summer bu at least the ocean and the beaches are only 45 minutes drive away.

For my money Flagstaff, Arizona is far better than Phoenix. It's a nice little town up in the mountains, not that far from the Grand Canyon with temps around 80 F. in the summer and it even rains now and again.

Aren't most homes in England attatched to one another , it's like buying a house and having to share it with someone else, you don't see much of that in the US,if so it's usually one owner for the whole building.

Most family homes in California are completely detached and often with a nice big yard front and back.

When we stayed with family during visits to England it was hard to get used to hearing people clumping around in the flat above or the telly going full blast in the flat below. The old guy who lived there was as deaf as a post and he generally kept the TV going until around midnight

For my money Flagstaff, Arizona is far better than Phoenix. It's a nice little town up in the mountains, not that far from the Grand Canyon with temps around 80 F. in the summer and it even rains now and again.

I liked Flagstaff, and Sedona, which has some stunning scenery, but Phoenix (specifically Scotsdale and Tempe) had more of the big city facilities I like.

I also liked San Diego but found the combination of heat and humidity a bit harder to bear than the dry heat of Arizona.

Archived