Car Insurance advice/comments please

My car insurance due and Im very confused.com!

Quotes ranging from £578 upto £1025 (stopped looking at the list at that point!!!)Been on comparison sites and independents,

Have requested excess of around £300, must have no claims protection and courtesy car in case of accident.

My query is this ...... why is there just a big difference in quotes? I worried that cheapest is not always best but it appears to cover everything I need

I made a claim recentley which was quite complex and was very happy with how my insurance co. dealt with it but they coming out over £200 dearer than cheapest quote.

My query is this ...... why is there just a big difference in quotes?

Because the software used to calculate the premiums doesn't always work very well. If you keep looking down the list you will probably find quotes of £4000-£5000.

And beware the very cheapest quotes. Two common problems with really cheap quotes is that they won't allow you to drive other vehicles and if you make a claim your insurance expires. If you pay for a years cover and you have a claim in the first week, then you need to buy another years cover as you surrender your certificate as part of the claim! :(

As with most things, you get what you pay for.

Because the software used to calculate the premiums doesn't always work very well. If you keep looking down the list you will probably find quotes of £4000-£5000.

As with most things, you get what you pay for.

Such quote scream out ………. We don’t want your business.

. If you pay for a years cover and you have a claim in the first week, then you need to buy another years cover as you surrender your certificate as part of the claim! :(

If the car is written off the policy ends, if it’s a minor claim how can they cancel the policy mid-term.

If you agree to pay for this absolute "legalised" theft, then more fool you.

Insurance is nothing more than "legalised theft" and while you keep paying the insurance companys will keep putting up the prices

Can you imagine what would happen if every stopped driving with insurance?

1) The insurance companys would fold

2) Compensation claim companys would fold

You would save yourself hundreds, and soon to be thousands (yes 1000s - thats what your premium will be in a couple of years). Money you can spend on more imprtant things in like, such as food - thats essential.

People say "but what if I have an accident, what happens then?"

Well given the fact that I have driven for 20 years and have never had an accident, I could claim I am a safe driver.

If on the other hand I was forever having accidents - I would probably have my licence taken away from me - due to being a dangerous driver.

YOu pay for this theft - so you pay the price the company wants

Confused.com is a good site. I was going to renew my policy, like I always do, even though it had gone up substantially. I found a much cheaper quote from another company on Confused.com. I said to my insurer, I'll stick with you if you can match or beat this quote, which they did!

People say "but what if I have an accident, what happens then?"

Well given the fact that I have driven for 20 years and have never had an accident, I could claim I am a safe driver.

I have never had an accident (13 years) however when my car was parked up and driven into by joyriders who were never caught the insurance paid the £3500+ it cost to fix. If I ever was in an accident and badly injured I hope I could claim for support and loss of earnings against the other peoples insurance. If I caused an accident I have legal cover to help and cover the costs to the injured party.

To me it is worth the risk and there is a good reason why car insurance is a legal requirement. Insurance has gone up. But shop around, I got mine £300 cheaper and pay £250 a year fully covered, £200 excess. When I informed my orginal company they instantly matched the price of the quote, so ring up with all your prices gained on the internet, tell them the name of the company and barter them down. If you persuade them nicely ...they can easily knock off at least a hundred normally :)

EDIT: I rarely stay with a company for more than a year as they creep the price up, and check what you get in the small print!

I have been driving since I was 17 and am now 42 and have nevr had an accident - however I have just had to make a claim for malicious damage to my car and it cost the insurance comany over £3500 - so my insurance, I feel is very value for money!! Totally disagree with ladonthedoles comments.

Tried to haggle with my current insurance company but they wont move on price. Although I have protected no claims the claim I have just made has affected my premium because the car was parked on my drive when the damage occured. now got cctv installed but they say this make no difference as they need a conviction and then the culprit needs to have the means to pay - highly unlikely!!

Archived