Can mental illness run in families.

just wanted to run something by you.i suffer from anxiety and depression,my maternal family have had problems with this.do you think that my children,i say children but they are adults now could have the same predisposition to it.ive noticed my son has some problems,could this have skipped the females..or do you think it could be genetic.or social factors..im extremely worried about my boy who is 17 showing signs of a mental health problem,he is extremely bright lad..but goes into slumps of sleeping all the time and is non respondant.or is this just typical teenage behaviour.i have 2 other children and they seem to be fine,he is my youngest child and i worry a lot about him.he is not like this normally,or maybe im worrying un towards.he never stays focussed on any one thing ,is this a lad thing.he seems to get bored easily and it sends him on a downer.any advice as im extremely worried.i got 2 girls that are older.

I think by suggesting that mental illness is genetic may be a dangerous statement. Yes, it is wise to check out the source of your sons problems, but they might not be mental health problems.

Without ruling out other sources (so by changing diet, checking out routines and increasing physical activity etc etc.) could all resolve things.

The danger is by suggesting that mental health probs run in the family could mean over labelling and over diagnosis

I think by suggesting that mental illness is genetic may be a dangerous statement. Yes, it is wise to check out the source of your sons problems, but they might not be mental health problems.

Without ruling out other sources (so by changing diet, checking out routines and increasing physical activity etc etc.) could all resolve things.

The danger is by suggesting that mental health probs run in the family could mean over labelling and over diagnosis

But there have been quite a lot of studies that show there are genetic links to many forms of mental illness. I agree that you should assume that it will be passed down, but being aware of the symptoms and seeking help when needed would be a good idea.

Yes, it usually does get passed down. My Grandfather, Mother, and myself have all suffered from anxiety. Talk to him about it and maybe go with him to see your GP? At least you know about it.

yes good idea,he is a very lovely boy but im biased arent i..i would hate to think he thought there cud be a underlying problem,i dont think he knows bless him...damn my family genes..he takes care of himself and is trying like mad to get a job..hes into fitness my boy, and is always exercising and stuff..obviously im trying like hell to encourage him in everything.me and my boy are very close more than the girls are,so i can honestly say i know something is wrong...or maybe im being a bit over protective..i dont want my son labelled as having a mental health issue.

as you said your boy is 17. The thing with mental illness and getting better is that the person needs to want to get better themselves. You can only go so far as telling him you are concerned about x, y,z and helping him to do something about it if he wants to. If he doesn't all you can do is keep an eye on him. by forcing things on him will only make it worse....

Archived