Can mental illness run in families.

i just been informed by my boy he is just very tired.and ive to stop treating him like a baby.he also said tiredness is not mental illness,he just had too many too late nites and its caught up..i do worry about him..but i maybe just seeing more into stuff.

you should also look into physical reasons for tiredness or lack of energy, underactive thyroid being one of them. but thats just if it becomes a pattern or a cause for concern...

I would say it's normal for a 17 year old boy an would'nt be over worried. but i also think there is a genetic link an it should be watched for. I also have suffered from depression and anxitey an so has my daughter but it has not stopped us from being very nice people and achieving the thing's we want out of life. Don't worry too much either way, i alway's find it makes much better and more understanding of other's.

i was told my condition could have been passed down,that was from a consultant of the mental health unit,at the hospital.

consultant psychiatrist? psychiatrists are theoretically espoused to the idea of mental health problems as physical brain diseases- in spite of the evidence for inheritabilty of mental health problems being weak and sketchy

I would say it's normal for a 17 year old boy an would'nt be over worried. but i also think there is a genetic link an it should be watched for. I also have suffered from depression and anxitey an so has my daughter but it has not stopped us from being very nice people and achieving the thing's we want out of life. Don't worry too much either way, i alway's find it makes much better and more understanding of other's.

thank you... good advice.:)

again, this is complex - over worrying is a feature of depression and it's very likely that he is just a lazy git like we all were in our teens - be a good responsible parent (you certainly sound like one) and bear in mind that biological and behavioural signs of depression (sleep pattern changes, loss of appetite, etc) are common in adolescence, but so is depression -loss of enjoyment, self isolation, poor personal hygeine etc are the things to look out for. Don't worry about him alone or on the forum, discuus it with people you trust.

again, this is complex - over worrying is a feature of depression and it's very likely that he is just a lazy git like we all were in our teens - be a good responsible parent (you certainly sound like one) and bear in mind that biological and behavioural signs of depression (sleep pattern changes, loss of appetite, etc) are common in adolescence, but so is depression -loss of enjoyment, self isolation, poor personal hygeine etc are the things to look out for. Don't worry about him alone or on the forum, discuus it with people you trust.

thanks frank..my hubby said he just a lazy git...i was looking for something i think...maybe just me..one of my symptoms..it is hard being a parent...im trying very hard to see the logical side,its difficult with depression.i think more awareness is the key and trying to strike a balance.especially if your blighted by this depression anxiety.

thanks frank..my hubby said he just a lazy git...i was looking for something i think...maybe just me..one of my symptoms..it is hard being a parent...im trying very hard to see the logical side,its difficult with depression.i think more awareness is the key and trying to strike a balance.especially if your blighted by this depression anxiety.

stick in there love, it passes and the sun comes out again - in the meantime, make the lazy git do the washing up!

You used to bang on about how debilitating it was, now it's only "mild" ?

why do people who don't know what they are talking about spout offensive crap on this forum? he/she has told you what his/her life is like, why do you have to be dismissive and aggressive?

Archived