Publishing advice please

SUZIFACE

Hello Suziface,

If you get hold of a copy of The Writer's and Artist's Yearbook (£14.99 to buy, but most libraries have a copy), it provides exactly what you need to know about submitting a manuscript. It also has details of all the publishers and literary agents, so you will have no problems contacting the right one.

I think the reason that you may not have had much response to your request is probably why I too did not respond earlier when I read your post. There is so much information on the web on how to get published, I presumed that you would have Googled by now. For instance, a search on 'How to publish a children's book' returns over two million hits. Many of them irrelevant, but a lot of help there too.

In as far as I can advise, being also relatively new, I would say that rather than a direct approach to a publisher, find a literary agent first. The yearbook provides details of what each agent requires as an initial submission, but I would recommend a telephone call first to confirm this, and also to get a name to send it to. You will then be able to write your covering letter to an actual person, and thus avoid classification as an amateur and going right to the bottom of the 'slushpile'.

You'll find all this, and more, in the yearbook. That is the place to start.

Good luck.

IR 010511

Hi Suziface,

I think Ian has provided some very sound advice. Thanks Ian.

I am in the same boat as you, Suziface. I had a go at writing a children's story (aimed at 7-10 year-olds) and I'm now considering whether it is good enough to be published. So I will be taking Ian's advice, but I will also be attending the Winchester Writers' Conference in July where I hope to get some professional feedback.

Incidentally what age group are you aiming at Suziface? And how short is your short story?

Ron

Thank you both, my Mum was a writer many years ago but her stories were broadcast on the radio and a different genre but she always had the A&W year book, so will invest in a copy. I'm doing a series of short stories about the characters, each book maybe 8 - 10 pages, not sue ofcourse because the illustrations will take space. I wish you well on your course

Archived