Need some info on credit ratings

It has become difficult now for young people to get a good credit rating as nobody will lend them any money. It stems from the pre credit crunch days when young (and some older) people were getting into massive debts and simply going bankrupt.

Just had a quick search for you and the money saving expert says that an easy quick way to do it is to use a PAYG top up credit card, theres several available starting from free to a small fee on google.

According to him "Simply top it up and use it to make a couple of purchases, do this 2-3 times and this will quickly improve your credit rating".

http://www.compareprepaid.co.uk/

The above site can be used to compare the cards available, hope this helps.

Good Luck

Just had a quick search for you and the money saving expert says that an easy quick way to do it is to use a PAYG top up credit card, theres several available starting from free to a small fee on google.

According to him "Simply top it up and use it to make a couple of purchases, do this 2-3 times and this will quickly improve your credit rating".

http://www.compareprepaid.co.uk/

The above site can be used to compare the cards available, hope this helps.

Good Luck

I'm a little bit confused about this because pre-pay credit cards do not show on credit files so don't improve a person's credit rating. That's my understanding anyway....

The following will improve your rating:

1. Get yourself on the electoral roll. This is the most important thing to do.

2. Get a proper current account.

3. Get a proper credit card, or even two. If you're having trouble getting one try somewhere like
who will give credit cards with low limits to people with bad credit. Use them, but don't use more than 50% of your available credit, and PAY THE BALANCE IN FULL EVERY MONTH!!! Aquacard and the like have very high interest rates.

4. Ask your bank for a small overdraft.

5. Get a contract mobile rather than pay as you go. Just get a sim only contract.

6. Avoid applying for lots of things in one go. A search on your file is recorded every time you apply for credit, and lots of searches in short space of time will ring alarm bells.

7. Pay all your bills on time.

PS All these things take time to improve your rating. At least three months and probably more like six months. To get a really top rating takes years.

PPS Finally, just to say that I know this stuff because I've travelled this road myself

Good luck.:)

Archived