Whats you best football match memory?

First memory (via tv) is of a Terry McDermott header to seal a 7-0 Liverpool battering of Spurs in 1978, though I always remembered it as more of a diving header than it actually was...

The cracker against Brighton in 1988-9 (5-4) will always be a favourite memory, in a memorable season, particularly John Francis getting the late winner.

Other than that, Seaman's stunning save to deny Peschi at Old Trafford; Cantona's chip at the Lane two weeks before his kung fu kick (on one of the windiest nights ever there!, and also the game where they filmed bits of When Saturday Comes); Glyn Hodges late winner against Derby (and trip over the hoarding)that kick started a 7 match winning run, and survival in the Prem; Deano chipping Grobbelaar from miles out; Dean Saunders throw in off the back of the keeper and subsequent goal... much better memories... not too many recently!

Klinsmann only scored one goal on his debut in England at Hillsborough, a towering header above Des Walker giving Chris Woods no chance.

thought we lost 3-4 at home first match of the season - after every goal he did a spectacular dive, spurs played in navy blue, must have been dreaming then - yes just seen it, he scored one, knew we lost 3-4 though, great game

Edited by 0114owl1867
checked on utube

thought we lost 3-4 at home first match of the season - after every goal he did a spectacular dive, spurs played in navy blue, must have been dreaming then - yes just seen it, he scored one, knew we lost 3-4 though, great game

That was a great game, i remember Hirsty scoring with a lovely header too ...i think

Do you have 1 match from your childhood which will always stick in your head? Or a more recent one which you know will stay with you for years to come? was it because the game was brilliant? or because the day out was so much fun? Did something specific happen?

We all support different teams but we all love the same things within the sport of football, the game, the days out, the drinks, getting together with friends/family................

Share you fave memory of our much loved sport!!!

The first Owls match of the 90-1 promotion campaign (Ipswich away) would take some beating for me. Fantastic weather as I recall...the Station Hotel in Ipswich turned into an Owls Pub for the day...first appearance of the "Brazil" kit...some unwelcome drama due to poor policing and congestion on the terraces...oh, and the result. Also, later in same year, the two legged League Cup semi against Chelsea. Was living in Leicester at the time, so every match was an away fixture! Espceially the second leg at Hills, pouring with rain I think, and Wilson's spectacular goal at the Kop end which sealed Wembley. I remember being embraced by a very well-oiled Owl in the Hole in Road en route back to catch the 23:00 coach from Pond Street amid cries of "What a ******* team, eh?!" Happy days.

Without any shadow of doubt,beating man utd,best stiles,law,charlton 5-4 after being 2-4 down really does take the buscuit,you had to be there to appreciate how special that day was,not a man in the ground ever forgets that day......doing leeds over,away at elland rd in the replayed cup game comes a VERY close second,1 down in 8 minutes,and the cup favorites looked odds on to storm home,with 50 odd thousand inside all screaming them on,enter an virtually unknown brian woodhall,an untried winger to lob gary sprake at his far post,and set up a night that went down in leeds wednesday folklore,with ritchie notching the 3rd in a superb 3-1 win.

Bunking off school to watch the Owls vs Santos in 72.

Owls vs Orient. 1-1 last minute rescue. The first goal we had scored in months. At the ime it was the longest any club had gone without scoring and was mentioned on the 6 pm news. "War, famine, pestilence, politics and Sheffield Wednesday have scored a goal".

If you are refering to 74/5 , Brian Joicey's goal was against Oxford.

I'd add Paolo di Canio taking Man Utd apart in the 2-0 win, to silence their fans' "Only come to see United " taunts, to a top ten list!

Also his peformance at Ibrox in Ian Durrant's testimonial match just after, where he had to be substituted after belittling the Rangers' players in front of their own fans.

Beating Chelsea in the away leg of the 90/91 league cup semi, and 66 FA Cup semi final at Villa Park are high on the list as well , but for me number one had to be the 1991 League Cup win... the only time we've won anything in my lifetime.

Edited by geocol

EVERY game (all away) in every round, in the run up to the 1966 FA Cup Final. Never got a ticket for the Final though ......

Wednesday 5 Man Utd 4 .... was it 1968, can't remember.

Boxing Day 1979

League Cup win 1991

FA Cup semi final 1993

Another stick out game, can't remember the year, but Wednesday were 3 nil up at half time to favourites Chelsea. Paul Cannoville caused havoc with us in the 2nd half, and we ended up drawing 4-4.

Chelsea won the replay.

Great, great times being a Wednesday fan. :thumbsup:

Edited by Earwiggo

EVERY game (all away) in every round, in the run up to the 1966 FA Cup Final. Never got a ticket for the Final though ......

Wednesday 5 Man Utd 4 .... was it 1968, can't remember.

Boxing Day 1979

League Cup win 1991

FA Cup semi final 1993

Another stick out game, can't remember the year, but Wednesday were 3 nil up at half time to favourites Chelsea. Paul Cannoville caused havoc with us in the 2nd half, and we ended up drawing 4-4.

Chelsea won the replay.

Great, great times being a Wednesday fan. :thumbsup:

31st of August 1968 was the 5-4 result mate.

Can you remember the 4-4 result on the 7th of december 1975 when Man Utd were last in the second division? I was with my pal this weekend who played for Man Utd then.

31st of August 1968 was the 5-4 result mate.

Can you remember the 4-4 result on the 7th of december 1975 when Man Utd were last in the second division? I was with my pal this weekend who played for Man Utd then.

Yeah I can remember the result, but the team, or fine details? ........ no chance!! :(

Who's your mate, and who scored for both teams that day?

You're better than me at finding that stuff, and quicker.